DD-7 loses ping-pong with stereo-ins?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhumber, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jhumber

jhumber Member

Hey all,

Can anyone explain this:

I have a DD-7, feeding two amps.
    When my chorus pedal (Analogman) sends a mono signal into the DD7, the delays ping pong across the two amps.
    When the chorus pedal sends a stereo signal into the DD7, all the delays come out both amps simultaneously.

Does anyone know how to get ping-pong using stereo-INs to to DD7?

For the owners, I tried reading page 19 of the manual but it was almost impossible to understand....

Thanks
    Jordan.

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

Having thought about this some.....

Is it possible that using stereo-ins on a delay pedal means that you'll never be able to hear the ping pong, even though it's actually happening?

For the 1st repeat, if the Left input 'pings' on the left hand side, does the Right input 'ping' on the right? The 2nd repeat would then swap these over, so the L input would 'pong' on the right hand side, and the R input would 'pong' on the left? This would mean that for any single delay repeat, the two inputs to the delay pedal are causing two stereo repeats, simulatneously 'pinging' or 'ponging' to opposite amps.

<Head-explodes>

There's lots of DD-7 users here, is no-one else running thru-stereo with them?

3. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I want the opposite stereo without the ping pong how do I do this???

4. digitalkettle

digitalkettle Member

Can't get to the manual...but if it's anything like the EH SMMH, when you use a stereo input it drops the ping-pong and starts being dual-mono.

5. jhumber

jhumber Member

I don't actually know....have you read the manual?
    Page 19 details 3 different ways of connecting stereo inputs to the DD7, one of those might do the trick.

6. jhumber

jhumber Member

Oh, bugger.
    Makes sense, but it would be a nice-to-have.

7. brent

brent Member

yep - dual inputs become dual mono outs, the pedal doesn't have a setting that will merge the inputs

8. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

You have three different options for the stereo input mode on the DD-7. There is no effect/direct mode if you use stereo inputs. Maybe try bypassing the DD-7 with one of the chorus outputs for the direct signal? Send a single chorus output into the DD-7 B input. On the DD-7 output you might have to use a cable to nowhere on the B output to get the stereo output mode to work.

9. jhumber

jhumber Member

I might be being slow, but I don't really understand that.
    I want the chorus to be sending a stereo feed into the delay, and I want the delay to be sending a stereo feed into two amps.
    It doesn't sound like there's a way to maintain ping-pong, but that's ok - it can get a bit messy at times anyway.
    Cheers

10. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

I believe what you call ping pong delay is the effect/direct mode on the DD-7. This mode sends the direct signal to one side and the delay signal to the other side. Since half of the DD-7 output in this mode is the unchanged direct signal, you can just send one chorus output directly to an amp skipping the DD-7 altogether. The other chorus output can go into the DD-7 B input. You need to use only the B input to activate the effect/direct mode. Send the DD-7 A output (delay only effect) to the other amp. You might need a cable to nowhere from the DD-7 B output to get the stereo mode active. I have not actually tried this yet, but it is worth a try if you want the effect/direct DD-7 stereo mode with the chorus.