DD2 LED help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MilwMark, Feb 14, 2015.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I daisy chain my DD2s with my Rats. They always lit up bright and proud.

Recently in one rig it doesn't light up at all (or if it is, so faint I can barely tell) and in the other it is visible but barely. They still sound great.

Does anyone know, do the LEDs eventually go bad? If so do they get dim as they are failing, or would they or just fail outright?

Are they easy for an amp tech to replace?

Help?

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The DD-2 was designed for the 9vDC PSA adapter, so it's not the PSA/ACA thing. It should light up just fine, assuming it's getting the correct voltage. An LED will eventually fail, but will usually just die. I've never heard of them dying slowly.

I'd investigate the power first. Try the pedal with a fresh battery. If that makes the LED light up properly, look at the power supply. What voltage is it? Is it properly regulated?

4. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

Yep, it's definitely the way you're powering them.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

It's a Onespot. But I tried each on two different OneSpots. Hmm. Battery's a good idea. I'll scrounge one up and try. Thanks.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

So I tried a battery. One is just fine (on PS or battery). The other LED is so faint you can barely tell it's working, either by PS or just with a battery. Ideas?

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Which is which? The other - is that the DD-2? I haven't seen LED's die slowly, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. It's just that once they get on my bench, it's usually when they're fully dead :)

It could be the LED itself, or the Zener diode that connects to it.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Two DD2s. One now working. One LED almost too faint to see, battery or PS (with daisy chain).

Is LED replacement straightforward? If not I'll need to locate a reliable Boss repair person my side of the Atlantic! Or I suppose grab another. They're not THAT pricey. Would be a shame though.