DD20 - Getting desperate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by long finger, Jun 23, 2006.

1. long finger

long finger Member

hi, i'm new around here, but i do hope you can help me out. (i have posted this on HC and had no success, this is my last effort)

the DD20 allows you (according to the manual) to change output modes, pedal operation and led display by holding down various combinations of buttons whilst powering on. I have tried to change a number of these settings, and whilst the unit appears to be doing what is asked of it, as soon as i am returned to normal operation, the settings are back as they were. nothing i can do will change them!

i can only assume that there is something wrong with my unit, and will go ahead with trying to get a refund (bought secondhand from a shop) unless any of you guys can tell me what i am doing wrong?!!

i do hope you can help, thanks

2. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I've never owned or used a DD-20, but I'll go ahead and ask the obvious question - is there a "save" button that needs to be pressed in order to keep your new settings?

3. long finger

long finger Member

yeah its a 'write' button. that appears to be where the problems lie. However i press it, once or twice (as has been suggested to me) the settings just wont change.

i have had a engineer friend who lives with me look at the manual and try follow the given procedure and he had no success, i dont think i am just being stupid...

4. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Huh, sounds like something's messed up. I've never had any problems changing the config. of mine by following the instructions- the changes stay changed. The only thing with Boss double pedals that I've experienced is to make sure you're powering it properly; I had some strange experiences with my DD20 & RC20 over the years before I got my power situation worked out. Hopefully you can exchange/refund.

5. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I just got my DD20 today, been fooling around with it for the past 15 mins or so...

To set a user specific delay go to "Manual" mode by pressing the "Select" button until you dial in "Manual" mode. The Green LED will be on now indicating that you're in "Manual" mode.

From here just set everything according to your own preferences E.g. Delay time, feedback, level, tone, mode, etc.

When you're done press the "Write" button, then press the "Select" button to indicate where you want the delay to be saved.
    (Note you can store up to 4 different delays at one go.)

Then press the "Write" button again and you'll see the Red LED Blinking Rapidly where you choose to save the delay.

This is the very basic "setting your own delay and saving it" process, I admit the boss manual and all other manuals I've come across for slightly more complex delays are not all that user friendly. ;)

If your unit doesn't seem to be able to complete this operation I suggest you return it man.

Hope this helps dude.

All the best! :)

6. long finger

long finger Member

hmm, its not what i want to hear but thanks uber, I have been trying these things on both an adapter (which is appropriate according to the ratings, and works fine for normal peration) and on battery power... it really sucks

7. long finger

long finger Member

nah bluepowder, thanks for the help, but we're looking at stuff like 'chnaging the pedal mode settings' 'setting the output mode', 'setting the external pedal function', 'changing how memory numbers are indicated' etc as described in the relevant sections of the manual

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

yeah, that really does suck longfinger. I love my DD-20, and I changed from pedal mode 1 to 3, and haven't thought twice about it since.

I recommend giving it back and buying another one secondhand (ebay, the emporiums here, what have you), as it's rare to find a malfunctioning boss pedal!

9. long finger

long finger Member

yeah its looking like a drive into town to get my money back tommorow,
    im am slightly worried that i might have problems convincing them that its not working as it should, as it *is* a pretty specific fault that takes a bit of time with the manual to work out....
    plus these guys in the shop tend not to be incredibly bright, and are unlikely to want to give me £130 back for a malfunctioning pedal

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

:roll

11. Creamy

Creamy Member

long finger, have the guys in the shop where you bought it, show you how to make it work - and try it with another new pedal. If its the pedal, you'll know right then. Also, since your making a trek to the shop, arrive right when the shop opens so they can dedicate the time to you. Good luck!

12. long finger

long finger Member

thanks for all the advice. took it to the shop this morning, they agreed it was a problem and have sent it off for boss to fix, so fingers crossed i'll have a functioning pedal in a week or so

13. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Thats very good news. I have to say it could be a bit longer than a week, BOSS uk took a month to sent my repair guy a jack socket.

Aj