DD20 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1o1oo11o1o, Aug 25, 2005.

1. 1o1oo11o1o

1o1oo11o1o Member

Ive been eyeing off a boss dd-20...havent actually got to try one yet but thought others might have some insight as to whether its really worth the money over, say, a 2nd hand dd3 or 5.

I suppose it depends on the application but just in general im after some feedback from any dd20 owners....

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

i love mine.

3. MAZ

MAZ Member

I love mine too!

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had lots of great delay, analog, digital, and tape...the DD-20 is a great piece...it's on the board.
    Greg

5. telemike

telemike Member

+1 for the Boss DD-20.

I did an extensive search and trial for all kinds of pedal delays. The best sound, versatility and value was the DD-20. I really like mine.

6. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I like the fact that I can preset 4 different delays and a maual delay for 5. Love it.

7. Den

Den Member

I love mine as well ... and this is after having both the T-Rex Replica and the DLS EchoTap. With one pedal, you can have four nice delays preset. I use a separate pedal for tap tempo which offers more flexibility. One of my presets is a decent (not amazing, but good enough for gigs) chorus, so I don't need another pedal for that. The big bonus for me is the built-in loop feature. It's simple to use on the fly to throw down a backing rythm to solo over, then easily jump back into the rest of the song.

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    For the buck I don't think you can beat it. Musicians Friend was sellign these for $179. THey sound good and are very flexible and offer you four presets. So versus a DD-3 or a DD5/6, go with the 20.

TheGrooveking

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've been going through all my delays this week and just for more comparisons, I picked up a DD-20, an EH Deluxe Memory Man and a Fulltone TTE. I compared these with an older DD2, Chandler Digital Echo and a DL4. Naturally the TTE was my favorite of the bunch by far with the Chandler coming in second.

I was surprised that the DD-20 was very close to the Chandler quality wise and with a little tweaking on the modulation settings, was able to get real close to the Deluxe Memory Man, only with less noise. I thought it sounded much better than the DL4.

It looks like I'm gonna keep the TTE and the DD-20 and sell off the rest. You can't beat the tape sound of the TTE but I think the DD-20 does a great job at covering everything else and I would have no problem on a gig with this as the only delay.

Kenny M.

10. onemind

onemind Member

DD20 is 179 with free shipping at zZounds, seems like a pretty good deal, I just parted with my DL4 and I'm tempted!

11. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I like mine a lot. The analog and tape settings are pretty warm and the tone knob is a good feature. Its hard to beat for the money, and you have to throw a whole lot of dough at anything that will really sound significantly better. IMO it is far better than any of the Line6 delay pedals

12. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

definitely worth it,
    I really love mine.

13. telest

telest Member

DD20 - worth it?

YES! :dude

Steve

14. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

All this goes for me too.

15. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I've owned mine for around a year and really love it. My all time favorite delay is a Deluxe Memory Man but I really don't like how easily it overloads and distorts. The DD-20 is the closest I've found to that pedal - and I've tried a lot of delays. The fact that it has 4 presets plus a manual setting is icing on the cake.

16. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I agree Pappy. The Deluxe Memory Man was a definite sound I wanted to aquire for that Edge/U2 kind of thing. That's why I bought both units at the same time to A/B. I found by slowing the mod rate to around 25 or thereabouts and turning the depth up most of the way, I was able to cop the DMM thing but without that noise I kept hearing in the repeats. The only difference I found was in the way the repeats played out. With the volume of the repeats matched in both units, I found that the DMM would just kind of stop repeating while the DD-20 would fade out a little more gradual carrying on for a couple more repeats. Other than that, I got the DD-20 pretty dialed in.

Heading out to get a TTE. Now that's a Delay! Something to finally beat out the Chandler that I use in my studio.

Kenny M.

17. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

We're definitey on the same page with these two delays. I feel that the DMM has more *mojo* for sure but the DD-20 comes very close. There is a murkiness to the echoes as they die out that the DMM has that I really miss (the DD-20 is definitely clearer) but it's a subtle difference - especially for live use. I totally agree that the stock modulation setting isn't very good. You can get it sounded *very* close to the DMM if you tweak it, though. The Line 6 delay didn't sound *anything* like a DMM IMHO.

18. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

This is interesting to see...so many DMM fans coming out of the woodwork. What a sweet, fat, rich delay...my fav as well. I did the same A/B business with the DD-20 and the DMM (and also a TTE)...the DD-20 is a great box, highly tweakable.

Hey 1o1oo11o1o...have you ordered yours yet?

Greg

19. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

That says it all for me. Listening with a critical ear in the studio by yourself there are other delays that may have a little more "mojo", sound a little more organic, etc, but on stage with a loud band going the DD-20 sounds fine and can cover a lot of ground for the money. I still prefer a DMM, AD-9, Boss DD-2 or tape echo for recording, but the DD-20 is what I have on my pedalboard.

20. 1o1oo11o1o

1o1oo11o1o Member

Thanks a lot for all the responses. Yes i went and got one cheap from a sale, and while i havent a proper chance to really get into it, what ive heard so far is awesome.

A+ for all your insights.