DDP FILE SIZE?

aram

Hey All,

So I just made a DDP image of my new album to send to get pressed into CDs, and I noticed that the DDP folder is 775 MB. The thing is, the folder of WAV files that I bounced is over a gigabyte.

Does DDP compress the files in anyway? Or is something wrong here?

jmoose

Well, not sure something is "wrong" but you should talk to the mastering engineer and verify, by listening... the contents of the DDP before you get coasters back from the plant.

DDP is 16bit 44.1kHz so offhand, yeah... if you sent 24bit files to mastering what comes back will be smaller.

At the same time, the maximum size allowed on a CD is 74 min & 650mb so if your at 775mb somethings wrong. It might even get rejected by the plant.

Have a conversation with your mastering engineer before it becomes an expensive mistake.

aram

Well, not sure something is "wrong" but you should talk to the mastering engineer and verify, by listening... the contents of the DDP before you get coasters back from the plant.

DDP is 16bit 44.1kHz so offhand, yeah... if you sent 24bit files to mastering what comes back will be smaller.

At the same time, the maximum size allowed on a CD is 74 min & 650mb so if your at 775mb somethings wrong. It might even get rejected by the plant.

Have a conversation with your mastering engineer before it becomes an expensive mistake.

yes that makes sense - they're 16bit now.

however, don't audio discs hold more info than that? The album is 71 minutes 26 seconds and the IMAGE.DAT Is 756MB.

I made the DDP Image with HOFA DDP MAKER.

jmoose

however, don't audio discs hold more info than that?

Negative ghostrider. Red book standard is 74 min 650mb

You can purchase blank CDR that are 80 min 700mb but if your submitting to Discmakers or any of the "biggie plants" it has to conform to redbook or they'll make you sign a waiver and tell you to get lost if the resulting discs have errors.

This was a DIY mastering? Did you just take the 24 bit files & shove 'em through without proper dithering to 16bit? That's not a great idea... truncation errors can (and generally do!) exist which may or may not reveal themselves on physical or DDP, but pop out as a layer of granular distortion once you get a few generations down the line. The plant is going to knock it down 2 gens from DDP or physical master... then there's an iTunes cut... end listener ripping MP3, the streaming services like Pandora, Sirius XM utoob etc push it a couple more generations down.

Hate to say it but this is why people hire mastering engineers.

aram

Negative ghostrider. Red book standard is 74 min 650mb

You can purchase blank CDR that are 80 min 700mb but if your submitting to Discmakers or any of the "biggie plants" it has to conform to redbook or they'll make you sign a waiver and tell you to get lost if the resulting discs have errors.

This was a DIY mastering? Did you just take the 24 bit files & shove 'em through without proper dithering to 16bit? That's not a great idea... truncation errors can (and generally do!) exist which may or may not reveal themselves on physical or DDP, but pop out as a layer of granular distortion once you get a few generations down the line. The plant is going to knock it down 2 gens from DDP or physical master... then there's an iTunes cut... end listener ripping MP3, the streaming services like Pandora, Sirius XM utoob etc push it a couple more generations down.

Hate to say it but this is why people hire mastering engineers.

HOFA DDP maker has a 16 bit dither in the program, that is used when making DDP images of 24 bit files.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom