DDT so safe you can eat it!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wilto, Apr 19, 2016.

1. wilto

wilto Member

I remember my dad coming in to spray my bedroom with fly spray each night in the summer. I would hide under the sheets suffocating until ihad to come up for a breath. Some of the things we thought where harmless turned out to be the worst things we could come into contact with.

Hell it could even cure infantile paralysis.

derekd, Scrapperz and 71strat like this.
  2. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

We used to ride our bikes behind the trucks that fogged our town in the summer. This was back in the late 60s.

reaiken, derekd, HoboMan and 5 others like this.
  3. headpond

headpond Member

I'd ride my bike behind the mosquito fogger truck in the late 80's early 90's.

Making jet airplane noises like I was flying around up in the clouds shooting migs out of the sky like maverick 'n sh!t. I turned out brilliant mane.

4. headpond

headpond Member

Dood

5. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

What do them science talking folks know, right? Science is always changing, what's good for you today is bad tomorrow. You just never know. Tells me this science thing is a bunch of baloney.

(Did I do it right?)

6. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

What's the problem? DDT is a chemical and chemicals are safe to eat. Roundup herbicide is safe to drink too.

wilto likes this.
  7. headpond

headpond Member

I don't care if its safe, just tell me if it'll get me high.

8. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

My grandmother used to have the powdered stuff in her shed, for her garden and whatnot, and she lived to be 98 years old.

From what I remember, ddt probably killed more people by not deploying it...

SigXer, Lt Dak and cheetah77 like this.
  9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I had a huge stash of Chlordane that some exterminator was trying to get rid of since he wouldn't be able to apply it lawfully.

That stuff would just kill the schidt out of any bugs that got near it. Whoo-hoo! Nothing we have now worked like that. Sadly the last 24 ounces of so of that stuff found its way into the deluge that followed Hurricane Katrina.

10. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

DDT is quite safe, and very effective as a bug killer. But the propaganda machine was stronger.

SigXer, Lt Dak, Spec and 5 others like this.
  11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It takes finesse to know when to use it and when not to. Meanwhile, I had a fully organic garden on another part of the property and all the usual pests were under serious threat by all the aphis lions and praying mantises and so forth.

The parallel is Antibiotics. Used with care, selectively, they saved 100s of thousands of lives. But we started putting them into anything and everything. Every calf and hog is jacked up to the max on the latest anti-biotics. The baby got a major dose of the latest antibiotic every time she fussed, and now all the bad bugs out there are just about immune to every defense we have. So, what happens in the future when the drugs we should have held back, won't do any good and now people begin dying in droves and there's nothing we can do?

12. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Ya, tell that to the Eagles and Falcons.

They are finally making a comeback around here.

Peteyvee, lefort_1 and 84superchamp like this.
  13. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Hopefully the human contingent of Earth's population gets 'right sized', and it buys the rest of the contingent some time and space.

14. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

I'm talking about malaria and other mosquito born diseases.

D. Stewart likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Diazinon in that 20' stream spray can would kill those mean red wasps immediately.....I miss Diazinon....

16. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

In the early to mid 70's we used to ride our bikes in the cloud. If we didn't have a bike we ran, lol.

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

No, no, no, the Philly team was killed by Chip and the Hotlanta team was killed by management.

But srs, as a 3-4 year old I remember watching the older kids chase the DDT-Mobile around the neighborhood on their bikes.
    Then soon as I got my bike, my Nazi-Green-Anti-Goldwater-Young-Repub-'Rents went all Rachel Carson on us and didn't let us get all fog-bound.
    That was about '64.
    Soon after we had the Haight/PDX/Kesey Half-Decade of Love to watch (or participate in, as was my older sibs' predilection) and ...well... there you have the last half of the 60's.
    No DDT.
    Moar THC.

Science. History. Fact.

btw, my dad was a Botany Prof, and Silent Spring (and associated studies) really changed how/what he taught.
    He got by for 4-5 years doing Marine MicroBiology and Basic Plant Sciences courses, but he buckled under the pressure to "produce papers promoting Big Agri".
    He died of a Parkinson-like disease, which was tentatively connected to unreleased toxins they tested in the 50's/60's, seeking the perfect Tobacco Mosaic Virus Killer.

RIP: Dr. Leo E. Jones, 1918-1990

It wasn't easy fighting The Establishment back then, and it cost him his sanity and teaching position.
    Sucks to be right, huh?

65DuoSonic and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  18. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

I actually remember tshirts that said "DDT bugs Me" with some drunk looking Mosquito. (Like at Spencer Gifts or something)

[​IMG]

phoenix 7, 65DuoSonic and lefort_1 like this.
  19. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

With Donald Duck and Pluto.
    ..... so, old Walt B was in on this too?

The plot thickens...

20. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

To think I used to lick the wall paper back then. :thud