Dead E String?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by ojo1138, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ojo1138

ojo1138 Member

I have a Hwy 1 Jazz bass, and I think the E string is dead. Here's the rub. Thinking it was time for a net set, I changed strings, but the open E still sounds lifeless next to the other three.

I plugged in two other basses for comparison. One of the basses sounds a bit lifeless on the E, and the other sounds fine. Now all three basses have different types of pickups, so it's not an exact comparison.

I'm thinking it could either be a) something funny with the bass (pups or just the instrument), or b) the speaker.

Any one got any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

2. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

What kind of strings are they? Roundwound, flatwound. Not all strings a created equal. Also, is there any cloth winding on the nut or the bridge? Does it sound dead acoustically? If so it's not the speaker or PUs.

3. ojo1138

ojo1138 Member

I had mystery rounds on the bass (the strings were already installed when I bought the used bass), and replaced them with a set of round Rotosounds.

No cloth winding on the nut, but I'd have to double check the bridge . . . however, I'd be surprised if there was.

I'll also have to listen to the bass acoustically. Hadn't thought of that, but that's a good idea.

I was also thinking of running through another amp to check for deadness. Looks like I gots some testing to do when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll post my findings, in case anyone else is curious.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Just through the amp- or does it sound dead acoustically?

Since you've ruled out the string itself by changing strings... I'd look at the bridge saddle and the nut.

5. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had this in the past - there was a period of time where the Rotosounds I was using (Swing 66's) were coming through with a "dead" E. At that same time, my pickup was also struggling. Maybe it's a combination of a weak pickup and a bad string? I upgraded to EMG's and switched string brands.

Try a set of DR's and see if that helps.

Stormin!