1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dead/Jamband Fans' Gear Trends

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zoooombiex, Aug 1, 2006.

1. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i know there are a few deadheads lurking about this board ... or people otherwise into jamband-ish rock/jazz improv [1967/68+ miles fans included :)]. any trends in gear among us? it seems like there aren't a ton of people in this scene who lean toward higher gain or marshall tones, but maybe that's just my experience? i also seem to see a lot of overdrive users and not many fuzz users, but generally a decent number of effects overall.

anyway, fwiw, i lean toward lower gain and smoother ovedrive tones (two-rocks or clean amp + pedals). effects-wise i like to have a lot around but don't use as many playing out to keep things simple. (usually an OD, boost, wah, modulation).

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My fave rig for Dead and other jammy stuff these days is this guitar

[​IMG]

through this amp

[​IMG]

with this 'board.

[​IMG]

I, too, like an amp that "does good clean" and an overdrive pedal or two with excellent clarity and definition. Effects-wise, you gotta have an envelope filter (mine is an early '80's, 1st generation Boss T-Wah) and delay helps, too.

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to see Steve Kimock (with Nate Wilson) on Sat night and will report in from the front lines.

Gee, Jon, I've seen that guitar somewhere before. Nice amp, too. Wish I had a picture of mine (head & 410 in cowboy tooled vinyl) to share. Just put the 410 under my new T-R Custom Reverb Sig and it sounded very very nice. I could see using that rig in this sort of context.

Didn't know I needed an envelope filter, though. Guess I'll have to get on the bus with that.

4. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I use a Paul Languedoc Hollowbody and a Blackface Deluxe. I have a Q-tron, Maxon od9 pro, Ross Compressor, BK Butler Tube Driver and a Guyatone MD3 for delay. The Deluxe is modded to serve as a channel switcher thanks to some nice folks in Vermont, quite a simple effective rig. I have a Glaswerks 50 on the way which is the best amp I've heard yet for improvised jam rock. I love the whole jam band scene and music, nice to see some like minded folks! :dude :) :dude

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

PRS Custom 22, Marshall DSL. It's all I need.

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Jimmy Herring seems to like a bit of gain.

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

back when they first came out (which was awhile ago, come to think of it) the Mesa 20/20 was very big with the jam guys around here.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of the Vox Valvetronix stuff.

/rick

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

true - i was actually thinking about him and warren haynes as exceptions. but it's interesting that he used a lot more gain in ARU, using a marshall and fender and panning between them. i read a comment from him that when he started playing with jazz is dead and phil & friends he found he didn't need or use as much gain and so dropped the marshall. but that info might be dated... fwiw, haynes also seems to use less gain when playing with phil/dead bands. he uses a fair amount with the allmans, and then mule seems to be the most.

but then back to herring, he seems to be one of those people who can use a ton of gain and still sound pretty clean ... probably due to having incredible technique. i remember taking a fast section of one of his frogwings solos and slowing it down to half speed to hear what was going on, and everything still sounded crisp. :)

9. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

Is it a coincidence that this thread started on Jerry's Birthday?

I think not.

I sometimes play in a Dead band here in Nashville... It's a side project, with Sam Bush's rhythm section (bassist Byron House and drummer Chris Brown) and assorted other folks. When doing that, I usually go old-school Jerry and use my 59 Strat (not that his was a 59). I like any fender amp...sometimes a deluxe, or super depending on the size room, and I also love my Juke 2x10 for that gig. By the way, for Jerry-wah fans, I highly recommend the Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter for envelope stuff. It's the closest I've gotten to a Mutron sound in a small, board-friendly pedal.

I also have my own band, a Scofield-ish, Meters-ish instrumental thing that I use the Juke for, and a '64 335 w/Bigsby. I'm a Klon and TS-9 guy, with a little trem, and the boss dd20 delay...

10. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

As for trends, one thing I noticed a lot when playing in a "jam band" and playing with other "jam bands"--a lot guys liked to use not one but 2 TS9s and usually a compressor of some sort--a la Trey. A Fender BF style amp was always popular. An envelope filter was usually somewhere in sight.

I myself use a Bad Cat Trem Cat or a Dr. Maz 38 1x12. I dig that EL-84 thang. I'm using an AC Booster, a Burriest Boostier and Keely Comp.
    I use a Xotic Robotalk, a Digitech EX-7 and a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe to make noises with. I don't ever use much gain. I like organic tones that feedback but I don't like preamp gain.
    Live, I play a lots a different guitars, a PRS HB II, usually a Les Paul somewhere in there, and a Tele style of some sort, my homemade Nocaster or my TCM Terrycaster.

I have a friend that plays in a Dead cover band here in Lexington and he nails the various Jerry tones with a Epiphone Sheraton with a Roland synth and a fairly elaborate setup otherwise.

i don't usually go for the Jerry tone but I can comp FZ's "Joe's Garage" tone pretty darn close, fwiw.

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Paul Barerre has been working that Rivera S120 since they first came out. You can do a lot worse than one of those.

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've played around in a bunch of jambands and being a younger guy a lot of my friends and peers seem to go with the Trey set up of a Tube Screamer, Fender Twin and of course the famous Q Tron. A lot of my other friends are Allman fans, including me, so Les Pauls are a must. The last year or so I've really been on a Trucks kick, so all my pedals are now gone, and I just plug my R6 into my Bumbox Cielo through a 1x15 open back cab. It's huge sounding, and the P-90's cut right through it.

13. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Does everyone play Estmated Prophet?

14. Judson

Judson Senior Member

I have grown away from the Jam Band scene. But when I was an active member it was always a Strat (but thats just me) clean amps (I used Low watt Fenders in pairs) then I had a few OD pedals but didnt use them much when at stage volume, just a little to boost for leads but lots of modulation. At one time I had a wah, filter, chorus, phaser, univibe, and flange all on my board and used them all in one night... Im glad I got past that. Now im still with the Strat more into delay and noise so I use some fuzz and the only mod you will find on my bord is my Wah Probe and a uni vibe. I play more jazz inspired than rock anymore so I still improvise just a cleaner tone, but really almost no rock for me. Post-rock maybe. : ]

15. Calloway

:D Too funny!

16. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I don't follow the jam band scene, per se, but I do feel an affinity with that style of music and quite naturally fall into that style of playing. I started doing this back in the late `60s and early `70s, and my rig of choice has always been simple.

General outline: Semi-hollow guitar, echo, reverb, clean to mild overdrive, 6L6s and multiple 10-inch speakers.

Thirty years ago: Univox semi-hollow, EH LPB-1, E-H DMM, Silvertone 1485.

My current rig is a heck of a lot nicer: Koll Custom DL Thinline, Blackstone MOSFET OD, Aphex Punch Factory, Toadworks Redux, Fender Vibro-King.

I've never really gotten along with fuzz, filters or modulation effects.

[Edited to add:] I haven't really cared for Warren Haynes' tone since he started using the Soldano.

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

Nope, but an occasional Shakedown or jam out of Scarlet maybe. :AOK

Other than a few Mesas (which some consider high gain depending on how they are used) I've always used Fender-based amps or a Matchless with pedals. More recently I've added a Two-Rock and Top Hat. The jam oriented band I'm in only does a few reunion shows a year these days, but when they do the Two-Rock has been the amp of choice with a few pedals (Eternity, COT50, AD99, Swamp Thang, Magic Boy, and yes a Q-Tron).

Incidentally, other than the Q-Tron, the rig is the same for my main band right now (a few songs are "jammed", but more of a blues/rock/jazz thing).

18. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I like to keep things simple with a strat/LP (sometimes the SG for open slide), Twin, and a Timmy.

Just want a 335 and tele now.

19. shoe

shoe Member

I've been involved with the jam-band scene for a while now. As a child of the 80's, I tried to cop the Trey thing only to discover I don't like hollowbodies or open-back cabs and tube screamers. I prefer solid body guitars with closed back cabs and 100 watt heads (I prefer Jimmy Herring and Warren to Kimmock but still love Trey). That's why I play "JamShred" - check out my myspace profile to see what I'm talking about!

20. Calloway

Hey Bryan, do you play in a band in the area? You guys make it to Wilmington at all? Love to hear more jam oriented players around, I know they're out there!