Dead low E, 24.75 conversion neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by swiveltung, May 2, 2015.

1. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

So, I have a 24.75 conversion neck for strat. Very nice feeling neck and all the strings but the Low E ring nice. The Low E is just flat sounding, dead, almost like it's partially muted. Especially up the neck starting above the 5th fret. Frets look level, not rattling really , just no sustain and lifeless. The strange thing is I have two of these necks and the other one is fine. I tried backing the pickups off thinking it was mag pull but no change. maybe I have to go to smaller gauge strings but I don't with the other neck...

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Have You tried changing the offending string ?

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Oh yeah, been through a few sets. Bridge saddles are Fender. The low E tends to a bit less resonant on Strats with this scale compared with 25.5, but this one is quite a bit less so.
    However, my other short scale has larger frets.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Swiveltung -

Check to make sure the saddle is sitting level, not cocked to one side or the other. The saddle height need to follow the radius, somewhat, but the saddle itself needs to have equal pressure on both it's feet for the best mechanical coupling. The top of the saddle should look "level" compared to the bridge plate.

I hope this helps - I hate these bizarre problems.

Thanks, Dana O.