Dead Low E string on my Classic 60's strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnh, Feb 19, 2009.

1. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

My lake placid blue classic 60's strat has been my number one guitar for years. I fitted it out with Kinman Traditional Mk II's and it played well, sounded great and felt super.

However, a few months ago I started having problems with notes at the 15th fret choking out really badly on the low A and E strings. I don't remember anything, but I presumed I had knocked the guitar against something and knocked a fret out of true or something. So the guitar went off to the repair man, and came back playing fine once again. However, the bottom E string just sounds dead now. Really dull compared to the other strings. It's mainly noticable on the lowest notes from about A on down, although you can hear that the string is dull sounding anywhere on the neck.

I've wondered it I'm imagaining it, but the change is quite marked. The guitar used to be really resonant and tight sounding on the low strings, but every time I hear it now I wince.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? How did you solve the problem?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Assuming the fret clearances are OK, the neck is tight and the saddle is well set and anchored about all that is left is the string itself. I have recently tried a set of the GHS Santana strings and find the low strings to be exceptionally boingy...nice.

3. jay42

jay42 Member

Make sure the bolts for the neck are all firm.

4. THebert

THebert Member

Did he mess with the nut? Check the nut and bridge, that is what I would look at first.

5. HHB

HHB Member

lower the neck pickup

6. empty71

empty71 Member

Or try a fresh set of strings :)

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

lower the bass string side ONLY of the neck and middle pickups .It sounds like strat-itis.

If that's all it is, and your guitar repairman/tech didn't notice it, you need a new guitar repairman/tech...

8. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I checked the screws holding the neck on and they weren't quite tight. After tightening them up, everything is absolutely back to normal. Phew.

9. empty71

empty71 Member

Great to know everything's back to normal :) Score for jay42 ;)

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I agree. Sometimes it's not easy to find the real pros as there are so many self proclaimed "techs" around every corners now.

You shouldn't have to do it yourself. Find another tech next time. But I'm glad you have the problem solved.

11. jay42

jay42 Member

woohoo!