Dead strings after one gig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM.

1. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I’ve used Elixers in the past but I’ve been using Pyramid Nickel Classics for the last 6 years. The Pyramids are round core nickel wound. They require a hard right angle bend where they stick out of the tuner peg to insure that the wound strings stay tightly wound due to their round core. My favorite sounding and feeling string by far and they last seemingly forever, much longer than the Elixer nanowebs.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pyramid-electric-guitar-strings-r455-special-11-48.html

Gasp100 likes this.
  2. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Try the OPTIWEB!!!! Night and day better

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I don't like Elixers...too slick, but then I'm not acidic and I can leave strings on forever...GHS 10-38 for me...

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The strings I had that lasted the longest were SOB strings. Sadly you can't get them anymore. Right now I'm using Curt Mangan pure nickel round cores and they last pretty well.

I use 10-38s as well. Very nice balance top to bottom volume wise.

5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Every time I think I'm gonna move away from paying $12 a set for Nanowebs I regret it. This last time I bought 2 sets of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s. Put them on 2 different guitars and low and behold the high E string unraveled from the ball end on both High E strings. One did it during my last gig. Kept tuning and tuning the High E and it kept going out of tune. Finally had to pull out another guitar. Yes Elixir Nanowebs are expensive, but to buy Ernie Balls or D'Adarrios trying to save money is a false economy.

Gasp100 likes this.
  6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I always hated the EB just because of that.
    I have Elixir Optiweb in one guitar and D'Addario (regular ones) in the other 2.

7. Dickey

Dickey Member

Considering how depressing & crappy today's music is, I ain't surprised.

I find EB & D strings don't last at all; I like a very metallic twang to my sound, great for country & surf, and I find the best are GHS & SIT, when I can get 'em. And, with SIT, you get an extra 1st & 2nd. 'Course with what gigs pay nowadays in Florida, I gotta stretch 'em to last about 10 gigs.

8. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

I rarely get two gigs out of any uncoated strings. I stopped playing EBs when they were dull and dead out of the wrapper. Jim Dunlop 10s for me.

9. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

Years ago I'd eat through strings after 6 to 8 hours. Not just dead, but corrosion and prone to breakage. In parallel learned my thyroid was hyperactive causing my body to redline, heart palpitations, excessive sweating, etc. Got that under control now can do years without corrosion.

I'm now firmly in the camp of body chemistry impacting strings significantly.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Yes sorry that I what I'm using, NANO but now I see OPTI web lol... can't keep up!

buddaman71 likes this.
  11. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

It’s happened to me every time I’ve used ‘em. I don’t have harsh chemistry, as far as I can tell. Only happens w/Slinkys. I always figured that they’re just kinda crappy and can’t stand up to my vigorous and bend-heavy playing style. So I don’t bother with them anymore.

12. Calebz

Calebz Member

Same here. Every few years I stray from elixirs. It generally serves as a reminder of why I switched to elixers in the first place. Either they go dead super fast (EB slinky) or I saw right through them in a practice or two - or worse yet, during a show (boomers are great for that).

13. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I used EB exclusively and thought changing after every gig was normal. Not a fan of dull sounding strings. I've tried several others since and stopped looking after trying GHS Boomers 9.5-44.

14. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

EB's and Fenders die or break on me so I never use them. I use D'addario XL's if I'm feeling cheap, or the pure nickel's if I actually care about the guitar I'm putting them on. They last forever. The only thing that will kill them and any string I ever used was FingerEase.... That stuff is instant death to a guitar string.

15. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I can kill a set of strings in about an hour. I have that (3 pots of coffee a day) sweat, so I'm used to changing strings before every show. I tried the coated strings and they sounded dead IMHO as soon as they were @ pitch. I buy the D'Add shop packs and go thru 2 or 3 a year. Thank G@D for PRS locking tuners! I can re-string/clean in about 5mins!