• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Deadheads, What song first grabbed you and which ones now?

thirstypirate

I'm not as old or experienced as most and my early intro to The Dead came from my neighbors older brother when I was 13 in 1993. He let me borrow Long Strange Trip on cassette and the first song to really hit me was Ripple. I've listening to the guys ever since although I never saw Jerry live I do see all the other incarnations. Lately I've been really loving 'Standing on the Moon' and Jack-A-Roe.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
For me, I think the first tune that grabbed me was, "Playin in the Band," off of the, "So Far," video. This was right before, "Without a Net," came out. Then, I had heard that, and the, "Eyes of the World," with Brandford Marsalis, in particular. Hooked ever since!

jimmyj

My first GD epiphany was the Live Dead album (usually called Skull and Roses) from about '70 or so. It has Playin in the Band, Bertha, Big Boss Man, Me and My Uncle, Goin' Down the Road, etc..

After that I liked Blues For Allah, I remember Franklin's Tower from that album.

heady dude

Im rather young to actually be labeled a 'Deadhead', I was 15 when Jerry died, but was lucky enough to see a few shows in 94-95. Anyway Ripple was one of the first songs that drew me in as well, but I think when I first heard Terrapin Station was when I really 'saw the light'.
The older I get I seem to enjoy more of Jerrys other incarnations, specifically Legion of Mary, Reconstruction, and early JGB, not to mention his acoustic stuff. Still love the Dead though.

TungstenAmp

I heard a recording of Playing In The Band from 2/26/90 and as soon as the song structure dissolved and the jam began, I became a Deadhead. The next five years was a heady trip indeed.

These days, I listen to a lot of 70's and early 80's GD as well as LOM and JGB.

soulohio

in a not related to the post question...Jerry sounds like Dicky Betts to me- more than a little especially when i think of the song 'Touch of Grey'...is that a valid comparison? they use the same scales and scalar licks?

johnzias

Morning Dew and Cold Rain & Snow from the 1st Album hooked me back in '67 at the age of 14. I wore the grooves out of Anthem & Live Dead when they came out in '68 & '69 respectively.

Last edited:

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
Not really a 'Deadhead', but growing up I was familiar with their radio-oriented stuff like Truckin' and Sugar Magnolia. Now my favorite album is 'Europe '72'. The songs are tight, the band is cookin', and they still had Pigpen singing the R&B material. The cool thing, about the GD, is that you can find great stuff from just about any of their 30 years...

-KD

joemesser

Franklins Tower.....

A friend of mine was playing the Blues For Allah CD over and over and "roll away the dew" just went deep inside and stuck there. Or maybe I was remembering another time's forgotton space, when my eyes looked from my mothers face?

Ripple is a classic and classy entry point. What a tune.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
My first GD epiphany was the Live Dead album (usually called Skull and Roses) from about '70 or so. It has Playin in the Band, Bertha, Big Boss Man, Me and My Uncle, Goin' Down the Road, etc..

After that I liked Blues For Allah, I remember Franklin's Tower from that album.
That's actually just "Grateful Dead". Live/Dead is a different album that is off-the-charts awesome. The Dark Star > St. Stephen > the Eleven is absolutely incredible!!! But yeah, GD is a great one too. First I heard was the Bear's Choice album with all the acoustic stuff, and Ripple stood out. After that I saw my first show for April Fool's at the Omni in ATL in 1990. Was completely hooked after that. I think the Althea and Dear Mr. Fantasy> Hey Jude on "Without a Net" were taken from that show.

winstabull

5/8/77 Scarlet Fire was the first Dead I ever heard at a new friends house when I was 16. I was blown away by Phil's bass work on that.

A couple days later my buddy and I went to one of those tape trader stores and saw that they had those 'illegal' bootleg CD's for sale for like 60 bucks. Well we grabbed 2 of them and ran right out the door. Not knowing any of the songs I chose the newer show - 9/13/93. It was only the second set. Scarlet > Fire > Playing > Dark Star > Terrapin was the first disc. Turns out for 93, it was an above average show with a stellar setlist. After that I proceeded to amass a 200-300 show tape collection trading on the prodigy and early AOL internet services (talking 94 here).

What gets me now? Well right now, the first JGB double disc live set. Basically all the slow ballads are just killing me... Senor, Drove dixie down, I shall be released, lucky old sun, etc etc.... Whats the saying... Jerry could take a happy song and give it the hint of uncertainty, or impending doom, and likewise, he could give the saddest song a glimmer of hope that everything will be alright.

dets1

black peter was my first and is still my all time favorite. when seeing them live, scarlet was always a favorite of mine. many second choices- easy wind, candyman, stella blue, live morning dew ........ and the list goes on and on.

theHoss

What gets me now? Well right now, the first JGB double disc live set. Basically all the slow ballads are just killing me... Senor, Drove dixie down, I shall be released, lucky old sun, etc etc.... Whats the saying... Jerry could take a happy song and give it the hint of uncertainty, or impending doom, and likewise, he could give the saddest song a glimmer of hope that everything will be alright.
Yeah, the JGB ballads are something special.

mprvise

I wasn't into the Dead at all until I heard a local band doing some covers many years ago. Eyes Of the World and Brown Eyed Women were two that I can remember being initially grabbed by. Shortly after getting hooked up with that local band I went to one of their after parties and someone put in the China > Rider from Without A Net and all the hot hippy chicks in the house immediatly started dancing around. Yeah, that grabbed me for sure.

Went through a period where I was really into the ballads - Brokedown Palace, Stella, even some of the Bobby stuff like Black Throated Wind.

These days just about any live stuff from the 1970's will do it for me. 1977 is probably my favorite year, but the early to mid 1970's have some wonderful moments as well.

Trending Topics