Dealer pricing on Grosh guitars????

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Joe Perry, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Do dealers offer a discount off list or are they a set price like Dr. Z amps for example? If so, how much off list? I thought dealers use to be able to discount them now I'm not so sure if they went to a "fixed" pricing system. I'm wanting to call around to some dealers this weekend about a NOS S style but don't want to go in blind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't feel comfortable posting in the thread, please email (in profile) or pm me. I'll keep everyone's answer confidential.

Thanks,

Joe

2. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Silver Supporting Member

I buy / order everything from Dave's Guitar Shop http://davesguitar.com/ in La Crosse WI. He's a great guy! I don't know if anyone discounts Grosh. I doubt it tho.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I think they did change their pricing structure a while back. List prices changed (lower), so I think they got rid of the "discount" concept.

Collings has a "list" price and a known "10% only" discount from dealers.

Call Grosh and ask what their policy is. Great guys-they'll be straight with you. You can download the current price list off the web site. I think that is the actual selling price now through dealers.

Call the guys at Eddie's in St. Louis-good dealer, fair and honest.

Long2Play-can you chime in here??

4. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

You have it right. Grosh Guitar's price list has the real prices on it. :)

5. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

The price is the price. Now, if you have a close personal relationship with a dealer, (i.e., regular customer), I would not be at all surprised if they cut you a very small bit of slack, but they are not supposed to.
    There are ways to dodge local sales taxes which can result in a deeper discount, or at least one way I know some dealers will do.
    A surely legal way is to ask for free shipping in the deal, have them ship to a friend or relative across state lines who would visit you, or you them, and save sales tax as it is not an in-state sale. Where I live, that saves darn close to 10%!!

I don't know any major reliable Grosh dealer who discounts them.

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks guys. That's what I thought.

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

I'm sorry but I've never understood this mentality for an item that appears to be well within the bounds of "normal selling price" for comparable competitors. A Grosh at the pre-set price of $2,850 would be comparable to a Suhr that has a street price of $2,850 but a list price of $4,071 since Suhr allows for a 30% discount. Anderson allows about a 24% discount so a $2,850 street price guitar would have a list price of $3,750.

If it's a wash and the dealer is making the same amount - why do you care?

8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually they aren't - most of the newer ones they have in are just listed at their sale price (like the NOS and the two newest ElectraJets). I think they just deleted the original list prices on the Standards since they always had only a tiny discount (much like Tyler or Collings). The only ones they have that have both a list price and a sale price are the TurboJet limited edition, the set neck, and the bass - all three they have had for a while.

This is a fairly recent change for Grosh - I think when the most recent price list came out last fall that they changed to this pricing structure.

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Math major, eh?

11. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Just curious what your reasoning is that supports one maker getting full asking price but not the other?

Matt

12. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

Grosh pricing is pretty darn low compared to Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Custom Shop. I've played a bunch of guitars from all three and many of them were excellent. Grosh was more consistently excellent (for my tastes anyway). The added bonus is my cash went to a small shop run by some really great people.

13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Not to mention that if the street prices are roughly the same, who gives a damn what percentage that is of the "list price."

14. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

:rimshot:rotflmao

15. ElDiabloAmps

ElDiabloAmps Member

As a dealer myself, I feel like I should chime in.

I can always tell when someone is new to the small builder/boutique world when they come up to me and ask "So...how much do you want for X guitar or X amp?"

The days of the huge dealer markup are long gone. I remember when guitars from a certain large multinational company we all know had a dealer cost of $300, would list at $600, and it was up to the customer to fight for a fair price. But as a society, we've grown distasteful of haggling. Businesses have noticed and have been quietly moving to a "fixed price" model: cars, refrigerators, stereos, shoes...(does anyone here remember haggling over the price of a stereo? I do!)

In the boutique world, the margins are even slimmer. I can't speak for Grosh, but in my experience, very few builders are "making mad money". Most are working 60-70 hours per week and just making it. Building things by hand, one at a time, is inherently inefficient. Unit costs are higher, and margins are slimmer. By the time I pay the builder, pay for shipping, pay my rent and market the product, there is not much left. Trust me.

Now, as a previous poster mentioned, if the fella has been a good customer, I'll always try my best to make him feel special. Maybe I'll throw in a nice cable, or an amp cover. If he's just a young kid scraping together his college dollars, I'll often eat the tax, just to thank him for picking a brick and mortar over the (many) internet options.

So...the long and short of it is...it doesn't hurt to ask for a discount, but don't lose your **** if a boutique dealer can't make it happen. Don't storm out. Don't badmouth him. Margins are a lot slimmer than you think.

Just my two cents....

16. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

i like when prices have no hidden 'costs'

17. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Silver Supporting Member

I love you. :) You've been "Liked" on FB. Thanks for the post!

18. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

If you want to haggle, buy used!

19. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?"

(pause)

"These go to 11."

20. GearFlipper

GearFlipper Senior Member

You just don't get it. :facepalm

Grosh - List Price - $2400, no discount
    Suhr - List Price - $3800, after discount $2400
    Anderson - list price $3600, after discount $2400

You do realize that you're not getting 'more' for your money because of the discount right? and that guitars at the Level of Grosh & Suhr are all comparable quality an value. Grosh just decided to stop playing the game of pretend markup and discount.

I'll tell you what, the Grosh list is $3500, but for you, its $2400. Do you feel like you got a better deal?