Dealer selling bass damages during prep - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by hillbillypolack, Apr 16, 2018.

1. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Supporting Member

I found a bass on Reverb, had s particular few details I was looking for, struck up a conversation and asked a bunch of questions. Made an offer below their listing price, they countered by adding some extra strings, and I went for it. Happy enough, I was looking forward to it.

The day they plan to ship, I get a call from their tech saying they were adjusting the truss rod, removed the neck and now there’s a big paint chip outside the neck pocket. Pics look like it’s close to 3/8” x 1/2”. so it’s a decent size.

I said let me think about it, called later & said if there’s nothing else damaged, knock $150 off since I wasn’t expecting a ‘new project’, but I do understand stuff happens. The shop owner is offering $50 off.

What’s your take? I’m of the mind that we had an agreement at a price, which will now cost me $x and time. It seems the owners take is that he ‘cut me a deal’, and he’d be losing more money if I didn’t settle at $50 off.

My thought on that is the damage isn’t my fault. Take it out of the techs pay or delete one of the extra string sets he was including.

I’m not going to name the shop nor post pics, just asking for general thoughts on this.

2. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

If I knew I would be bummed each time I picked it up I’d say cancel the sale.

If you think it won’t bother you too much try for $85

ToneDeVille likes this.
  3. hillbillypolack

Thing is, I’m a surgeon with paint. I don’t do it for others but it’s the full-on watchmakers magnifying glasses and tweezer thing.

If the shop has a luthier repair it, I know it’s gonna be $150 easy. Easy. Then they’re dealing with trying to sell a damaged guitar and recoup that cost.

I’m not trying to take advantage of the accident but $50 seems low to me.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

The margin maybe too small with anything more then $50 off. He can probably sell it in store for the same price and not have to pay shipping so, not unreasonable for what his counter was. Would be easier to discuss if we knew the Bass make/model and selling price.

5. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Call the shop and tell them you’re willing to walk over the $50. They’ll either budge or you don’t have to worry about a project

Crowder likes this.
  6. hillbillypolack

The agreed price was $1700, discontinued model, nitro finish. Though I think it’s the principle of it that bothers me.

It would be like agreeing to buy a car, then seeing it’s been scratched when you go to get the keys.

7. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

If it was used then $150 should be no issue for him but if it was a new Bass then maybe 85 off to 100 off .

hillbillypolack likes this.
  8. hillbillypolack

Ended up compromising with the seller at $100 in my direction. By all accounts, they were willing to refund the transaction at any time and were very communicative.

I'll be getting the bass later this week to determine the condition, and have a 2 day window if I prefer to return it. It's a '63 P Bass with the smaller neck radius which is more comfortable for me (outside of going to a J Bass). Though many here have said 'walk', these basses tend to be very resonant.

fretless, Crowder and Vibroluxman like this.
  9. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

The best deals leave both people happy. If it's as nice as you're describing, and you're getting $100 for your repair work (even if that's a bit under-market), I think both sides should end up good.

hillbillypolack likes this.
  10. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I hope it works out for you. Speaking for myself the paint chip really wouldn't be a big deal as long as it played and sounded great. I've gotten some fantastic deals in the past on "damaged" guitars that were champs in the tone department. A few months ago I bought a used Mexi fretless Fender Jazz that was fairly rough around the edges cosmetically but it was priced accordingly. It simply SINGS and has otherworldly sustain and resonance. It was a total win so I'm not bothered by the cosmetics much.

11. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I'd cancel the purchase. Down the road you'll always be bummed about that damage and you'll end up selling it because it just isn't right. So why waste the time and energy?
    Just pass on it and find one that you'll be totally happy with.

12. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

If I were you I would probably just say that you want to cancel the purchase at this point unless the particular bass is replaceable with the same model. But I have to say it is good on the store owner's part for being upfront with you. Honesty goes a long way when things happen like this. There are companies out there that will just throw a guitar or bass in a box and make a million excuses as to why the customer should keep it and knowingly pass off damaged items as brand new. Thankfully reverb is really secure and sellers like this wont last long. I have read and heard many stories like yours that end with the customer stuck with the bass or guitar. So it was good the owner gave you a heads up before sending it out.

13. sprag

sprag Member

When you sell an item in worse condition than you bought it, losing money is par for the course.

Hope you enjoy your new bass

14. Yarbicus

Yarbicus Supporting Member

Sounds like it worked out.

15. hillbillypolack

It did, for the most part. The seller was honest in sending the pics prior to shipping, and took a bit off the original price. Online purchases like these are pretty subjective but I took the chance anyway. The bass arrived as described, the neck was set up really well, low action.

Though now I'm considering whether I need to start a project while I'm recovering from shoulder surgery.