Deals to be had...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Feb 4, 2015.

1. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Being a guitarist, buying, playing, collecting and selling gear for over 20 years I have to say it's been a long time since I've seen as much gear up for sale and at decent prices as I have in the recent month or so. I believe a lot has to do with being tax season, economy and also those who are getting out of large sized gear and going into more compact or boutique market. So if you're looking for the special vintage or more old school gear there are many "deals to be had" out there right now!

2. Mr God

Mr God Member

Lots of people are going over to digital as well!

3. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Yes and no. Many sellers are being ridiculous and asking for the buyer to foot PP and shipping fees. Not going to happen. I've passed on at least 4 amps and 5 guitars lately because the seller insisted on me footing the bill for PP (never going to happen) and shipping (sure in the HELL isn't going to happen). So at first it seems like good pricing. But many are not after those fees (if you're so inclined to pay them as a buyer. I am not). I pay my PP/Shipping fees when I sell ****. I expect other sellers I buy from to do the same. Or I won't buy. There is certainly nothing I need.

That being said any deals I have done lately have been with reasonable sellers. That's why I bought from them.

4. AXEnGEAR4J

Sure there will always be those who want you to cover all costs associated however the point being there is a lot of gear up for sale you would not normally find. If it's up for sale long enough and/or a lot of competition and the seller wants it sold they WILL negotiate! Or they are just out "Fishing" to see what they can hook and not really wanting to sell. I've seen much more in my local area as well than I have for years!

5. Muffdriver

Muffdriver Supporting Member

So you charge the same amount for a local in person sale as you do for a sale where you ship an amp across the continent?

6. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Yes. Or no. I may offer it cheaper, maybe not. Depends on the item. But either way that has nothing to do with the fact I don't charge people who buy from me shipping or PP fees. I figure that into the cost when I post an ad.

7. meterman

meterman Member

no offense but what's the difference really?

"This amp is $1100 shipped and paypalled" vs "This amp is $1000 plus $25 paypal fees and $75 shipping"

don't see how/why that would put somebody off a sale myself....large items like amps can vary pretty widely in shipping cost from the next state vs across the country, I generally eat the paypal fees and ask the buyer to cover estimated actual shipping costs. On small items like pedals I price them shipped and paypalled.

8. Muffdriver

Muffdriver Supporting Member

I almost hate to break it to you because you were so adamantly opposed to it but you are in fact charging people for shipping and payapal. But I'm here to tell you: It's okay. It makes sense.

9. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

This.

10. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

I have noticed here, and on local trading sites guys asking unreasonable prices for used gear. If you go in the amp emporium right now, there are about 20 boutique amps that get bumped everyday - and they are NOT selling. Mainly because most people are not going to pay $1850 for a "used" amp they can buy new for $1999

Of course anyone is free to ask whatever they would like for their stuff, but dont be suprised when it doesnt sell.

11. AXEnGEAR4J

I see all the time where people ask more than the going rate or what it's worth. It's one thing when you have the only one in the neighborhood but another when everyone on the block has one!
    I think people sometimes just like seeing their own ad and equipment posted, kinda like loving to look at one's self in the mirror....

:crazy

12. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

The difference is Seeing an ad that asks me the buyer to take on the responsibilities of you the seller tells me all I need to know about how the transaction will go. It is also used car salesman tactics. So using your own logic. What's the difference. Ask 1100 with PP and shipping included. Thats how it works when you're a seller. Especially in this buyers market. Anyone that pays the sellers PP fees and shipping is clueless and likely that's what a seller asking for those things is hoping. Or they too are just clueless.

13. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

Actually it has PLENTY to do with it! Unless you are charging the same price when sold locally you are mostly certainly charging for PayPal and shipping.

14. sleewell

sleewell Member

The emporiums seem slower right now to me. Same gear getting bumped over and over.

Still no one can beat the Fuchs tds 100 I got for $1600 shipped a few months ago. That was the deal of the decade.

15. spence

spence Member

I've had a great rare boutique head in the Emporium for about a month now. The cost new for it was $2800. I started out asking $1750 which is a good price. Now I'm asking $1550 shipped if purchased via a USPS money order, so both parties can save the Paypal fee, or the buyer can pay the Paypal fee ($46) if they're paranoid about sending the MO. Even with the PP fee, my price is still $1200 less than new. I've been a member here for 13 years, and my feedback score is 100% positive, but people are still scared to purchase with anything other than PP. For large expensive items like amps, shipping and PP take a HUGE bite out of your profit. I see people asking crazy prices for their gear, but I also see great deals which don't sell. It's a mixed bag.

16. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

That's what I'm seeing. Same with eBay.

Same dude has posted his Mini Plex MkII for $1850 four times on eBay over the last month. It's like people don't check completed listings or are convinced their stuff is more valuable. And of course, everyone follows suit and none of it is selling.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

PayPal has ruined online selling for me. All a buyer has to do is tell you "it doesn't work" and he can send the damn thing back for a full refund. Happened to me twice in a row... no thanks. In person or no sale, esp for tube amps.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Funny how this thread started out about deals to be had and is now discussing paypal, and shipping rates.

I have been downsizing for about 7 years. It takes time as newer and sometimes better or more desirable sounding gear comes up every year about this time.

I was going to go digital as I have played and do like some modelling amps. However, after all the periferal gear is also purchased, I would not be down-sizing, just hauling different stuff.

I was also looking into 30 watt amps but after reading up and playing live with several test subjects, I realize that 40-50 watts with power scaling is a far better idea, and in head+cab form. My days of hauling 70 pound combos is way behind me. I do realize, however, that unless I go stupid compact, I will have to subject myself to about a 40 pound head, which is fine.

So in the end, I have downsized the number of guitars, the number of amps, but very little change in terms of total weight hauled to and from work, but better sounds and more fun saving up for, buying, and using newer, slightly smaller stuff.

I am also sticking with tubes. So far the only amp that I have played that sounded really organic, which is also a modelling amp, has been the Marshall JMD-1 50H, which I use now. It has an EL-34 power amp section. I leave my Diezel at home as it is a 70 pound combo, and just too much weight for me nowadays.
    Even though, the Marshall was dissed by tube purists, it has been more fun, more flexible, and easier to get the Marshall sounds I need for work then the full tube versions which are basically more narrow in their ability to vary the sounds then the JMD-1 has been for me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  19. meterman

meterman Member

I can see your point but calling it clueless used car salesman tactics is unnecessary and insulting. I don't see anything wrong with transparency.

If I can ship my 75 pound 2x12 combo from Atlanta to Florida cheaper than I can ship it to Seattle, why shouldn't I pass that savings on to the buyer?

Each to his own, I've sold a lot of amps here and never had one issue from a buyer. I pack the hell out of them and ship them Fed Ex Ground insured. I always cover Paypal fees. Sometimes I roll the shipping into the price, sometimes I don't.

20. AXEnGEAR4J

Works both ways, I purchased a vintage Orange amp and cabinet from a second hand dealer. The cab was represented as "original speakers" and I discussed and instructed on how the amp should be packed for shipping . Upon arrival I found the amp in pieces, not at all packed properly and the way he assured and discussed. The cab not with original speakers. I got what I thought would be fair on adjustments though visa and paypal otherwise I would have been SOL.