Dean Cadillac (made in Korea) any comments?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvd18969, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

For the last 6 months, I've had my eye on one of those Tiger's eye finish Dean cadillacs made in Korea. No one seems to stock these locally so it would be mail order (something I don't really want to do, always a disappointment). Anyone ever try one of these? How is the quality, electronics, etc? They always show up on ebay and it seems like every one I've seen, the seller has upgraded the pickups, etc but is parting ways with it.
    Thanks

2. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Still hoping for some feedback on these. Anyone have any experience w/ these?

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i have seen one in person..it looked ok and maybe picked one up but never plugged it in...seems like u could find a good oen but yeah maybe a pickup swap...

4. Robot_dr

Robot_dr Member

Ive been eyeing those as well. I like the all white with Gold Hardware. They are just uniqe. So, being a non conformist I like the look. But, I also would like to know how they sound and play. I would expect a sound like an epi LP, but I realy dont know.

5. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I could live w/ the tone similar to an Epi LP, you can always swap out the pickups. I see them on ebay and everyone has upgraded the pickups and sprung the extra 100 bones for the case and have owned it for 6mos or less. That tells me that someone really wanted it to work out with the guitar but it just isn't happening. Do they play ok, how is the craftsmanship of the frets, etc?

6. ?&!

?&! Member

My buddy bought a black one, and after some upgrades, it rocks. Bone nut, fret dress, new pickups (GFS, great pickups and super CHEAP) and pots/wiring, and the thing is now a tone monster. I covet his Caddy!

7. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Thanks for the info! sounds like the way to go would be to get one off of ebay where the previous owner shelled out for the case and most likely upgraded the pickups. All that's left is the fret dress!

8. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

look for one of the czech made ones....they're killer. Kind of like an epiphone elitist as far as the dean line goes. A little more money but well worth the difference.