Dean seeks trademark cancellations against Gibson, alleges dealer interference

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gunslinger, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ozraves

ozraves Member

It is a bad look for Gibson. There is an honest way to do what they want to do but they are trying to do it with some bluster, which is just stupid from a PR perspective.

I've bought four Gibson guitars in the last three or four years. All were from online retailers except for one picked up used on eBay. All were of the same or better quality than peer instruments from other makers. While a common theme (re alleged Gibson shoddiness) here at TGP, I've not found any real evidence to support it. To me the big shoddy across the industry is so many makers moving manufacture from Korea of what were excellent values for the money to China and Indonesia.

uab9253 likes this.
  2. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I think we’re more in the neighborhood of a J-200. ;)

3. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Not to mention, if you play a killer Les Paul with a 50's neck other guitars don't cut it anymore.

Electricb and aynirar27 like this.
  4. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Is this Gibson's style? :D

goddot likes this.
  5. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

OK...maybe "shoddy" was a bit unfair, thought there have been some poorly built "waves" of Gibson guitars at times...but certainly when you consider the ridiculous prices they have expected, the build quality was no better than what other manufacturers were putting out at 1/3 the price at times.
    Gibson was, and still is, marking up their line purely on the strength of the Gibson name from a bygone era...a name they now managed to bring down to a lower level, IMO.

I find it funny when I see Gibson happily owners talk about $5k "custom shop" LP...and when you look at it and play it...there's probably a dozen manufacturers putting out the same quality for sub-$2k.
    But I get it...some people want/need the Gibson name...and that's OK, if you are willing to pay for it.

Thumpalumpacus, Calebz and slooky like this.
  6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If this is true then the underlying element of this is that Dean is obviously not taking the whole situation lying down.
    It would seem everybody expected Dean to roll over, but instead Deans David has just selected a sling and a rock to put in it........

hookakat1 likes this.
  7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I worked with a few guys at my last company who were about 20 years my senior, kids had moved out, they took up guitar, and each had bought a handful of Gibsons. Both guys raved and raved about these guitars. They brought them to work all the time (benefits of being in management) and I played them. Schecter puts out better quality everyday than those things.

8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The fee schedule was posted by someone else, but it isn't necessarily the amount of money it takes to file with the PTO that governs, it is the continued use and protection of the trademark. When Dean Zelinsky and Jol Danzig came along in the 70's, and started making V's and Explorers, Gibson hastily did reissues, because those designs were basically forgotten for a decade. It was Gibson's lack of timeliness in the 70's, and then again losing the 2005 PRS case make enforcement questionable.

Gibson should focus on the Chinese counterfeits, which is just bad for the guitar business in general, because there is a likelihood of confusion.

9. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

When it is all said and done, Gibson will have lost its "perceived" trademark on everything but their logo.

If they had any business savvy, they'd be licensing that logo to all these companies. Tokai could then slap a Gibson label on the headstock. Gibson gets money from what they want to do - market a name - and the people who to actually do what the market wants can have the name too.

:)

10. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I believe that this may be an attempt to create company value for Gibson without increasing sales. KKR is a divide and sell off firm and they control Gibson. Back Dean and dealers up and claim increased market share/ upside potential.

Problem is that under the circumstances, players may view this as sleazy and sales could slip in the interim. I fell sad for Mark A. as I think had he known what he knows now, he would have stayed at Norm's.

coldstare likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It's really amazing to me the amount of TGP'ers who seem to be able to totally forget or disregard the fact that Fender and Gibson, AND NOBODY ELSE, created these now classic and much copied guitar designs.

JedimasterPaul and bogdan101 like this.
  12. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

I bet Dean sells way more Vees than Gibson.

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Fixed

14. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Rocco beat 'ya to it, but thanks! I don't want to be a source of misinformation.

Rocco Crocco and Sirloin like this.
  15. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I bet it’s not close. I’m guessing 10-1 in favor of Gibson.

Lots of delusions in this thread concerning Gibson’s downfall and quality control.

TonePilot, goddot and Electricb like this.
  16. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

From what my local mom-n-pop owner tells me, yes it was. They forced her to mortgage through the roof to buy a certain number of instruments if she wanted to continue being a Gibson deal, then jammed a bunch of those 'robots' down her throat. She ended up losing thousands and had to ditch those anchors on Ebay.

She's decided to dump Gibson (ironic eh?) and is moving to all Fender. From what she says, Fender is MUCH easier to deal with.

p-ninety likes this.
  17. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Old ownership sent cease and desist. Jc filled the lawsuit

uab9253, hookakat1 and Rocco Crocco like this.
  18. slooky

slooky Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

There hasn't been a rock god in decades

Go Cat Go!!, Lt Dak and Hofnarr like this.
  20. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

If you don't protect your intellectual property (trademarks, service marks, patents, music, whatever...) then you may lose the sole right to use and control them. Gibson may be in this situation and they are attempting to claim or reclaim their IP. Fender went after individuals who made Fender-like guitars, and I mean people like you and me, to protect their IP rights, which have value. Fender receives license fees from Warmoth and others who make Fender-like guitar parts. Arguments that Dean is a much smaller company don't hold water, that's why Fender went after individuals like small shops in order to dissuade others. The question is whether Gibson is too late now where they would have prevailed in the past. It's simply a management failure.

goddot and FlyingVBlues like this.