Dean Soltero

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hard2Hear, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

I think that the Solteros are one of the most bitchin' looking guitars I've seen in a long time. Since I think Gibson is a bunch of no-good assholes I'd love to give one of these Deans a try.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

Looks a helluva lot better in that big pic than it does in the NAMM press release pics I saw earlier. The neck joint is a pretty interesting choice. The binding "nib" looks weird but I suppose without it would be too close to a Les Paul.

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I wonder if you can get it with a standard neck profile rather than the Dean V profile.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Looks like the Binding is just the maple top without stain, so technically it's just a sculpted top. Might take getting used to, but nice to something interesting coming out!

6. partytrain

partytrain Member

The Solteros are sweet guitars. I am working with dean now, and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things.

7. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Looks to me like something that would have been designed during the Gibson/PRS singlecut legal battles not so long ago. Dean probably wanted to make a singlecut to compete but avoid the legal hassles. It's a pretty interesting take on a classic design, I like it.

8. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

YIKES.

Just talked to my guy at Dean, list is $5335 and MAP is $4001. I think this is a cool guitar but not 4k cool. Not sure what they're thinking on that one.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Just picked up the new Dean USA Soltero, boys I tell ya, it's absolutely awesome.
    I posted a couple of reviews about it so I won't clog up the thread with all those details but I can tell you that it is second to none in quality, craftsmanship and of course Tone. This puppy has all the sustain one would need in a guitar. I hope anyone interested can go by an authorized dealer and try one out. I picked up mine from those cats at Pantera. Hard-core Dean dealers and great to work with. You will absolutely reconsider picking up any Les Paul or PRS Single cut, I know, I've had them in the past. The Soltero is to electric guitar what wine is to fine women. A pure necessity. plain and simple. Now it's time to check out the new Soltero SL.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Tell Pat Baker he's got some fans here on TGP for me! Pat did the setup on my Korina Z.

[​IMG]

The acutal purchase price will be significantly less...I'd guess $3-3.2K. Still a lot of money, but the Soltero is a fantastic guitar with custom shop build quality.

stratzrus

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Hey there Stratzrus,

The USA Soltero, I picked it up for under $3,000.00 and that was a deal over at Pantera.

Now, the new Soltero SL is something to see, it's made at their plant in Japan and available just below $2,000.00 over at the shop where I picked up my USA model. I just picked it up last Saturday and it's virtually identical to the USA shop with only minor differences. Best import guitar out there without a doubt. It is flawless just like the USA Soltero.

12. partytrain

partytrain Member

Pat is one hell of a builder and player...

The Japanese models just came in and they are sweet...I'm going to grab one for myself...The biggest difference is the weight, the japanese are just a little heavier..

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Partytrain,

You will be as pleased at aquiring the Soltero SL as if you custom ordered the axe from the USA Custom shop. What a deal they are.

These Soltero's are to die for man!

14. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

A friend of mine is a Dean dealer and he just received a custom shop Soltero for himself. It is a truley flawless guitar, I've never seen better workmanship.

Cheers,

CJ

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

After a few brewskies I picked up the axe again tonight and spent two hours running pentatonics, thanx Zakk for ruining my sex life, and pinch harmonics with my new Soltero SL.

Hey, I also have the new USA Soltero too but for a grand less this Soltero SL keeps the miles off the collector's piece and keeps me in shape for either of the axes of evil when I have to perform.

Guys this axe is tha Sh_ _ of single cut guitars. Les Paul aint got nothing on these puppies. In fact I have been somewhat void for a good time now because I got rid of a nice Paul a while back and I have missed the balls to the wall that it laid out on stage. I just lost that void the same freak'n night I picked up this guitar. I won't look back that's for sure. I have to thank Sean at Pantera Guns & Guitars for the help he provided in getting my ass over there to try one out. Damn he is sold on these axes. It reminded me of what I did back in the late 80's when a sales rep in San Antonio talked me into driving 100 miles from Austin, TX to try out the new PRS Custom 24 Ten-top. I bought it then and there and never looked back. Forgot about single cuts until PRS came out with one a few years later because Gibson's Les Paul's really sucked back then. I know what I like and what I want to get from wood and strings at this point in my life. I finally found it. Thanks Dean and thanks Sean. they are at www.panteragunsandguitars.com

16. stinkbug

stinkbug Member

+1

They are really nice looking, but cost a bit more than I would shell out for one. Even 3K is pushing it.

17. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Stinkbug, you don't have to pay 3K to get one of these I'm telling you. Call the guys up and they will make you a deal if you are serious about getting either a Soltero or Soltero SL. They will work with you, I have two Soltero axes to prove it. Enough said, I have to get ready for our Halloween gig we are prepping for at the house. The Transamber Soltero is gonna shine that night for sure!

18. Mudder

Mudder Member

I guess one upside to the pricing is Deans don't seem to have very good resale value. I bet used USA's will be available soon for half price.

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1 on the work from the Dean custom shop.

I can't articulate it, but every time I pick up my Korina Z you can just feel the quality, and I notice it every time I touch it because it really stands out from every other guitar I have or have ever played (qualifier: I have not played a Thorn, Melanchon, or other boutique guitars from the best small builders, but am comparing it to the best from Gibson, Fender, PRS, Music Man, Anderson, and Brian Moore).

The neck carve and pickup selection are a matter of personal taste, but it's hard for me to imagine a solidbody guitar that's better built by anyone.

stratzrus