Dear 'Cry Baby' Diary...

PhuzzphayzZ

... today I did my first mod ever!

The wah in the basement turns out to be a GCB-95 (S/N AA-16L066), @1993 (the switcher says 'Mexico 9317). I know who used it but I don't know how he used it, but it seems ok.

1) After a week of watching YouTube videos of wah fixing (AshBass, etc.,..) I decided to tighten up the treadle, which flopped forward. This initially went well but I was conservative and now we've got a little more sinking (not quite flopping). Must tighten more...

2) We have, I suppose, a dirty pot. I'll work it a little but I'm curious about getting Bourns pot- I can't really tell if the pot in there now is stock or not, but I'm not sure how I like the pot action on the actual wah sound (I forgot what the correct word for this is).

3) I assumed this pedal was Buffered, but, when I accidentally left it in the chain without battery or power, I could still hear the guitar with the wah off. I have been told this is the universal sign of TrueBypass.

4) LED- obviously, this would be useful. Has anyone used a super bright light and just let the light shine out of the square opening in the top of the wah casing? Like an alien spaceship?...

With an LED I need to get a resistor, and also the 6(?), or is it 9 pin switcher? DTDP?? is that correct? This is going to be a bit of work on my part.

5) INDUCTOR- this one says 'N30'- did I read somewhere where this was desirable? It seems the next year they went to some other brand/type? I've been curious about either the red Fasel, or, moreso, the Whipple.

6) With the heel depressed, the bass of the wah rests on a D-G-A axis, basically sounding good when I play in the key of 'D', or on those three chords. I almost assume the guy before me had drop-D tuning, so, I was going to raise the pot up to 'E' for the heel position and see what that does to the toe end (which, right now, isn't particularly attractive to me).

7) SHIELDING????- Well, today I put one fuzz before, and one after, and lo!, the radio broadcast comes in faintly for the first time ever! Congratulations me!!! I've seen the video of the one guy painting the inside of the casing with conductive paint, and then using (copper?) strip tape zig zaggy on top of the paint. ??????? And then on TGP I see a thread on 'Mu-metal'. I WOULD CERTAINLY APPRECIATE SOME INFO HERE. PAINTING I CAN HANDLE... the other?...

8) LOL- is it 68K to 47K or is it 33K to 68K??? Well, anyhow, this is the switching out of components part of the project, which I suppose wouldn't get done until all the other things have been done. I'm actually not that unhappy with the CryBaby in general, so, I'm not sure if I'm looking for more Gain, more Bass, more this or more that. 'Vocal' mod,- is it really THAT great? I guess we'll see...

9) TRUE BYPASS- as I said, it appears to have already been done by the previous fellow, as the pedal without any power allows the guitar signal through.

I think that should keep me busy. of course, if anyone wants to be my friend throughout this I surely wouldn't decline. I have decided to start my DIY career with this wah, and plan on learning about things that, apparently, I have been WILLINGLY ignorant of for a looong time.

THE JOURNEY BEGINS!

PhuzzphayzZ

Well, I think today's the day that I finish up this Wah Repair Kit and test. I know "what" I'm going to do, and I'm confident that it IS the correct way.

LOL, I still seem to believe that I'll plug it in to No Sound... it wooould be nice if I got it right and I could get a little DIY confidence.

1) soldering Whipple inductor in

2) replacing footswitch

3) wiring new pot

Technically, that's 8 ... what are they, "joints"? That seems easy enough, as long as I don't get bogged down

GET IN- GET OUT!!! QUICKLY!!!

PhuzzphayzZ

In stoned Tommy Chong voice: "I've dunnnn that".
OK, good to know I'm not alone. "Wah Repair Kit" my ass...

LOL, now the replacement footswitch is too short!

Duuuude, why did you sell me this crap? Don't you know what fits in a CryBaby???

aaaaahhhhhhhh:mad:

Imma bout just buy what all the cool kids play an be done wif it

PhuzzphayzZ

Down two Inductors...do I get another or do I just buy a decent wah?

I did manage to solder the pot and switch, so, if the Inductor leg hadn't snapped, I could be testing right now.

sigh

Vcaster

Hey, @PhuzzphayzZ, do you know why the inductor leg broke off? Defective? Force? Heat?

And thanks for posting the diary entries :p I’m considering modding my c. 1993 Vox 847 wah ... probably DIY, though I may opt to send it off to an experienced builder.

FokenBusker

If it's a unit that you can no longer buy brand new, I'd send it to a professional. Rare and discontinued pedals should never be the first pedal mod a person does.

I'm willing to bet either a Crybaby or Vox wah from 1993 has components unique to that time, and I would definitely want a pro to mod it for me.

PhuzzphayzZ

If it's a unit that you can no longer buy brand new, I'd send it to a professional. Rare and discontinued pedals should never be the first pedal mod a person does.

I'm willing to bet either a Crybaby or Vox wah from 1993 has components unique to that time, and I would definitely want a pro to mod it for me.
yea, I broke the legs off the stock inductor also, so, yea, ... but SERIOUSLY why do they make they wah inductor legs so flimsy (and also don't line up with holes)???

Even the Fasel only has two legs, when the GCB-95 has four (I'm assuming they all do...).

razza frazza

PhuzzphayzZ

Dear CryBaby Diary:

I just ordered the RedFasel...

Did I also mention how the 3PDT is really no easier to engage than your typical stock wah switch? LOL, the hassle must be part of the... appeal?

CryBaby lies dormant until RedFasel (lol, if I don't f*** that too). 3PDT has been installed and soldered. New pot has been installed and soldered. I need to recheck my solder just to see how I did, I was late last night...

PhuzzphayzZ

Yea, the N30 inductor may be unique to that time, I was quite pissed, but, what can I do now? Anger is an emotion I can ill afford!!!

Just ordered a RedFasel... hey, it was only $15.99... if I screw it up too then I might just get a new wah...(tho-the penny pincher in me would argue)

jimijimmyjeffy

I wouldn't just slap an inductor in a stock crybaby as the Classic model is cheap, has a nice Fasel inductor, and is improved in other respects for me.

Howver, it's a nice way to practice pedal modding. :) Good on ya.

Last edited:

Trending Topics