Dear Flanger, I owe you an apology...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FloridaSam, May 17, 2008.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Dear Flanger,

I owe you an apology.

I have been ignoring you for the better part of a decade and you need to know why.

Before today the only experience I had with you were the crappy Boss Flangers gifted to me by other guitarists when I was a young teenager and various Digitech and Zoom multi units. I didn't know better, I thought that was just how you where.

Those Zoom things in the 90's didn't help your case any either. Those could peel paint they sounded so bad. I always wondered where a jet plane would fit into my blues based rock n roll so I swore off you for good.

You have to admit, your Purple (Boss) and Yellow (Ibanez) clothing didn't scream "cool".

Today you came back in my life in the form of a Maxon FL-9.

I wasn't looking for you but you found me browsing around GC in the used section. You hid very well with the rest of the used items, hiding your Maxon name under a price tag. You grabbed my attention with the low price of $99.00. Thankfully we have Wifi devices in this day and age and I quickly looked you up on Ebay.... $260.00!!! For a Flanger, you must be kidding. I bought you and took you home.

I will never snub my nose at a Flanger again. Maxon, you are AWESOME, so much nicer than your Ibanez cousin. Maybe GC had you confused as you look so much alike, but man do you 2 sound different.

I never thought I would like Flanger but there are so many cool sounds in this pedal I'm amazed. From Ween craziness to VH to Rush. None of the annoying noise I was accustomed to.

So in closing Flanger, I hope you forgive me and maybe one day your friend Chorus will come back to me as well.... you never know.

Thanks,

Sam

2. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Flanger is making a comeback!

3. Panacea

Panacea Member

I too have some love for Flanger...[​IMG]

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thats pretty funny! I actually whipped out my Electric Mistress just this morning...I really want a TZF I just don't want to pay the inflated prices...the Electric Mistress will have to do for now!

BTW...nice old Boss!!!

5. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Have you played one of these? (I haven't). If so, what do you think about it and how does it compare to the EM?

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I have a rehoused Dano Hash Browns. Swirly.:band

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

That may be debateable, but I love the original post!
    My pal could coax all kinda Police/Rush/Queen sounds out of his MXR back in the day. I tried in vain with flang-ers from Boss etc....
    Warm and wet is best w/ them, and always analog!
    :BEER

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have not tried a TZF, I've nly heard sound clips...the Electric Mistress is a great flanger and is a must have for those Gilmour tones and it does a while lot more too, I also like the original MXR Flangers and for more extreme tones the old ADA Flangers too however based simply on whatg I have heard NOTHING out there can do what the TZF does.

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

This is very heartwarming- my cheapie Arion SFL-1 made me feel quite giddy too :eek:

10. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

I am very frightened of my TZF....even now, I know it's holding its

intimidating flanging abilities over my head like a big, wibbly, rubber wiffle bat. I am not worthy!:bow

Rob

11. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Well Sam ..u sound like me...:p

12. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

Great thread:)

I also have the Maxon FL-9 and just love it. Not metallic sounding, adds warmth, and can do some really nice chorusy and vibratoish pitch modulations. Enjoy!

13. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I sold my TZF because it was too fussy.Also,I wanted great sounds into my '68 plexi without fuzz etc.The TZF requires a fuzz or od for max mayhem.It was too noisy.I've got a ADA clone coming.I had a couple back in the 70's and 80's.It's a fabulous flanger with all kinds of subtle to ray gun sounds.And amazing chorus.
    Electric Mistress is very cool.Don't take it for granted or underestimate it.

14. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Now don't get all jealous and crazy if Flanger wants to go out occationally and have some fun. Remember, like 38special says, hold on loosely but don't let go.

15. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Who makes it?

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have the pleasure of having an ADA, a Ross, and an original Electric Mistress. I can never use them live, cause my band didn't really play anything I could use it with, but... someday.
    One day I will get the TZF and I will consider myself flange-complete (I never really had any interest in the MXR, not sure why).

17. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Yep,
    Its old, cheap, but sounds great! Nails EVH, Heart, Rush,etc..
    Justa hint of dirtiness to it making it warm and juicy.
    [​IMG]

18. emjee

emjee Member

I think its a company called "Montgomery Appliances", and the builder's screen name (IIRC) is "whoismarykelly"

MG

19. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

Yes, these are amazing! Boss's best ever modulation pedal.

20. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I HATED flangers (EH jet sweep tone) for 30 years (!!!) until I started using them in auxes in mixdown. Now i get it. I like the Mod Factor, and had an old FL-9 that I liked too. Lots of subtle not chorus/not phasor available. Great tool.