Dear Fulltone TTE Users: Is the Honeymoon over?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hdiddy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I am thinkning about getting one, do you still love the TTE?

How is the balance between clean and dry

2. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I use one since last April, still love it (may be even more than at the beginning)

3. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I have an early one (serial # 20). That thing is absolute magic. I have gone weeks at a time without playing it, using delay pedals and whatnot. Everytime I plug it in, I am reminded how superior tape delay is to analog pedals.

4. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Killer unit. Best effects unit of all time in my book.

5. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Where do you put the TTE in your chain? (in front of amp, in effects loop, etc)?

6. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I use my TTE last in the chain, just before Goodrich volume pedal. It seems to juice up the whole chain. I am to the point I can't find my tone with out it. Sometimes I turn on off the delay and use it as a tubed pre amp. That is the TTE's real serect. I just stocked up tape cartridges and clean the heads often. I tried using other delays DL4 etc because I didn't want to wear it out using it everyday. But man, the friggin tone. O well, I am gonna wear it out and buy another! Honeymoon has long been over. Best controls ever to balance orginal tone and delay.

7. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I use it at the end of the chain too, exact same opinion as Souled Out :dude
    only things that can be after it are the Framptone switcher and rotosphere when I use them

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Absolutely great delay/echo tones. It puts the pedals to shame. It seems best in front of the amp, after most other effects. The tube input stage can handle other effects much better than pedal delays as well. Sounds great left on all the time with just a touch of slapback too.:AOK

9. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

yep, I haven't even purchased a footswitch to turn it off yet :)

10. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Footswitch? I may need one!

11. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I don't have a TTE, but an strongly considering getting one.

I've tried to replicate a simpler version by having a Maxon AD999 followed by a Zvex LoFi Looper. The latter was to simulate how an Echoplex can repeat a phrase (and Zvex has a vibrato control for the loop).

However, I have fond memories of using an Echoplex years ago, and am really thinking of the TTE now.

The Amp Forum section of TGP got me concerned about "dispurities" to my amp tube tone, so I stumbled across some articles about "Intermodulation Distortion." However, a friend pointed out he actually prefers having the delay repeats get the same color as the direct guitar signal. Thus, keep the delay pedal (or TTE) in front of the amp).

One suggestion - have you guys ever tried a volume pedal immediately BEFORE the TTE? What I found with my AD999 is I could attack a note and fade it out with the volume pedal, and have the delays trail on. Sounds very mellow and something like a Jimmy Page thing from The Rain Song or No Quarter.

Also, the Rotosphere idea sounds amazing, in terms of combining it with the TTE. So, if I get a TTE, I may need to also get a Rotosphere...

12. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

There are 2 tape speeds to help keep the same color as the orginal tone or vary. Quite useful for different vibes. I will play around with volume pedal in the front of the TTE, I never thought of in the application you mention. I was thinking more of it degrading the signal to TTE as I worked the volume pedal. Always fun to try different applications. Thanks

13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

if that can help, here's a little sound clip that I recorded a while ago using my TTE and Rotosphere (Roto only used on the 2nd half from when the guitar fades in alone):

http://www.savefile.com/files/2814450

14. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I was not able to open the sound clip. I'll try again later. Problem is, once I hear it, I'm going to have to put a lock on my wallet and hide the key :)

15. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

don't know if this is the reason but you just need to follow the links for the clip, do not "save target as.." :)

16. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I have had my TTE for a little over a year now, and I rarely ever play without it.

Honeymoon doesn't seem to ever end.

17. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i just tried my tte in front of the amp. why does it work so well there even with a high gain amp? i have never played a delay i liked in front of the amp except for this. its a great delay.

18. basscracker

basscracker Guest

remember when fulltone used to make footswitches for old EP-1-2-3's?one for the TTE would be nice,along with the DVD instructions.:BITCH

19. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

i like mine. still.

I'm on the echoczar list.

one day, I'll a/b them.

until then, tte is great.