Dear Gear Abby, fake logo or no?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lespaulreedsmith, Oct 6, 2008.

1. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Dear Gear Page Abby,
    I have some Warmothcasters that I put some waterslide decals on that of course make them look like Fender strats. I think the registered trademark of the strat is in big part their headstock so I feel it looks kinds wierd for a partscaster that looks identical pretty much to the real thing to have a different logo.
    I hate Warmoths logo but I love their gear and parts.
    So I choose to put an aftermarket 'F' logo on these guitars that I am keeping and not selling. I assembled them myself and I like Fender's logo on them even if they are not real 'Fenders'

Does this make me a bad person?
    signed,
    Wannabe

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

3. snarkle

snarkle Member

Dear Wannabe:

Yes...but not a VERY bad person. In life, some small deceptions are allowable, if they keep us from hurting the ones we love. And you, for instance, clearly love yourself very much, as you've gone to the trouble of fitting yourself out with guitars that do just what you want them to do.

I don't know the exact particulars of your situation, but if, say, you have built these guitars with the intent of mimicking the $30,000 vintage Fenders you desire but can't afford, then you'd only be hurting yourself by displaying a Warmoth logo you dislike. And we don't want you to hurt yourself, or anyone else.

Now if you end up selling these guitars by passing them off as the real thing, that's another matter...the greater good of society would demand that you be severely punished!

Yours,

Abby

4. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

IMHO it would be better to have no logo at all then to fake it.

swa likes this.
  5. doublee

doublee Member

I once put a Fender decal on a new T style neck. For another guitar I am leaving the decal off, it feels better to me. If you do put a decal on it, it would be fair to subsequent owners to indicate somewhere what it REALLY is. Maybe in the PU routes or somewhere like that.

6. Thomme

Thomme Member

the warmoth logo is in the neck pocket and neck heel, I don't think any scrutinizing customer would buy a "vintage" or "reissue," fender without checking that everything was original. Plus the lack of seriel number kind of gives it away. I see no problem with putting logos on unlogo'ed guitars. Do what you want, you paid for the guitar. If you wanted to put a Fender logo on a Martin acoustic, it's your choice.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I'm looking for a decal that says "F*cker" in the Fender script. Also "Scrapocaster" to go along with it.

8. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

If I had a nickel for every guitar that I was never going to sell......

9. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

Well they're waterslide decals, so can't you just waterslide them off again if you decide to sell?

I don't see any problem with it. Warmoth parts are licensed by Fender after all.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

As long as you don't try to sell it as a real Fender, who cares?

When I built my Tele I used a Squire neck, and since I didn't want people to think it was a Squire I sanded the decal off and refinished the headstock, and left it blank.

I don't need a decal, but if you want one, go for it.

11. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

You assembled a parts guitar that looks just like a production guitar but it cost you more than the production guitar you copied. You may never sell it but if you ever want to sell that parts guitar, the lack of the decal will cost you about 30% from my experiences. This is in spite of the fact that you describe the guitar as a parts guitar. Do the math on that $10.00 decal.
    Go figure

12. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I'm surprised that Fender's not attempting to do something about these decals. Seems to me they risk having "Fender" become a generic term...

Regardless, what's your rationale for putting someone else's name on a guitar into which you've put so much thought and effort?

13. airwarrior

airwarrior Member

I put a Fender decal on my partscaster, and I sleep fine at night.

I don't think it would look right without it. Mine is a 70s type guitar with the CBS headstock and the big black logo is a large part of the look.

14. whitehall

whitehall Member

I would do it in a heartbeat, but then I pull the tags off my mattresses too. as you can see , I live outside the law.

15. jtm622

jtm622 Member

On the "Dr. Phil Show", this question was asked during a "gear-hound" intervention:
    "Does that possibly indicate that you never really wanted a "Warmoth", but were desirous of owning a REAL Fender instead???"

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

So far one of my partscasters has a "F" logo. I have logos for the rest but haven't used them yet.

I don't lacquer over them, so they can be removed later, if necessary.

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It cost more??? than a production guitar? :confused:

18. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I think it's shady, but not so bad if you do, in fact, never sell the guitar.

I DO think that people who build partscasters and later decide to sell them should remove the decal, and that there's little difference between selling a fake Fender and selling a fake Gibson, 'disclaimer' or not.

19. KHAN

KHAN Member

I have several "Warmothcasters". So I made these for the headstocks. '60's and 70's style.
    People seem to get a kick out of it when they look up close.

[​IMG]

20. drive-south

drive-south Member

It's perfectly OK for Fender to take parts from China, Korea, Mexico, Canada, etc. bolt them together and put the Fender....made in USA logo on them.

I say leave the stickers on if you want. If you decide to sell, I would disclose to any potential buyer that the parts are Warmoth and the guitar was not built by Fender. They may consider this a selling point!

drive-south