• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dear Gibson, Please make an explorer with a flame maple top...

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
I want an explorer with a mahogany body and neck, flame maple top, No pickguard. No gold. Black, chrome or nickel hardware, real ebony, (no richlite), or rosewood. Perhaps Classic 57s pups, 500k pots, vol, vol, tone or 84 explorer control layout (preferably).

Keep the price below $2500 with HSC.

Thank you.

somecafone

Oh, you mean like Hamer did?

oixap2n6vqlsd0soda7n.jpg

HERSCHEL

Silver Supporting Member
I'm cool with Richlite and gold, but don't like black hardware, and want the thick neck profile. Otherwise, a figured maple top explorer is right up my alley.

JonSick

I had one a long time back. It was a 1996 built one (from memory). I still kick myself that I sold it, I've never found another that played even half as nice.

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ That's a custom shop piece and very nice! Make them normal production line to get in the $2-2500 range.

The CMT have pickguards. No thank you.

+1 on the thick neck.

dpeterson

Ginormous piece of maple needed to do this.. probably the main reason they are not doing it. And i'd imagine your ideal price would not be close.

Whittlez

Silver Supporting Member
I want an explorer with a mahogany body and neck, flame maple top, No pickguard. No gold. Black, chrome or nickel hardware, real ebony, (no richlite), or rosewood. Perhaps Classic 57s pups, 500k pots, vol, vol, tone or 84 explorer control layout (preferably).

Keep the price below $2500 with HSC.

Thank you.

You want real ebony from Gibson in a guitar for $2500?

AND a flame maple top? Yea, not going to happen. There might be a kick-okole MIJ with those specs for that price... but not a Gibson

I have a 1979 Explorer E2 (I got for $1400 so these are available at a good deal) with Ebony fretboard and maple top.

My maple top is pretty plain but there are some with figured tops that approach "flame" such as the one below - they have maple/walnut or walnut maple etc. sandwiching. So, the top material differs

Here's a flame maple with ebony E2. CMT Explorers had "Curly Maple Top"

jhvwttypeusdrk7lrvaz.jpg

this lower one might be a walnut top otoh -not sure

Here are some sold records from reverb (note these also have great pickups)

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/761-gibson-explorer-e2-1981-sunburst

wme2.jpg

Last edited:

Digidog

For some, undisclosed reason, the Explorer is the only Gibson guitar model that can't be custom ordered left handed. Gibson have, on their own accord, built a few lefty Explorers through the years - but custom order through M2M? No....

Strange.

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Unrealistic price of $2500? I'm not talking about a custom build here. Run of the mill production line explorers are under $1500. Slap a maple top on it, ebony or rosewood board.

What was the price on the Hamer Standards before the business went? I remember them being around $2500-3k. Now prices are through the roof.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom