• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dear Mechanical Engineers (SG Vibrola)

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I've lusted over SG's with vibrolas for years and actually got to have one for a while. Unfortunately I had to sell it. It was, however, awesome.

Yes the tuning was a pain in the but;
Yes the sustain was diminished,
Yes the vibrola actually only contributed to a little warble and not big dives...

BUT IT LOOKED KILLER AND WAS FUN TO WANG ON!!!!

So please, take my idea and make me an aftermarket vibrola that:

1. Mounts in the exisiting tail piece holes and strap button.
2. Solves the break angle problem.
3. Offers more consistant tuning - perhaps a spring system that can be hidden under the engraved piece.
4. Looks cool.

Let me know when your done so I can buy one. K Thanks!

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
If the comb holding the string balls were further from the handle, it would move in a larger arc and thus move the string ends farther as the leaf spring flexes. That may increase the detune range, though the spring stiffness may have to be changes to compensate for the extra leverage of the string tension against the leaf.

If you made a bridge with a Bigsby-style pressure bar integrated into its trailing edge, it would maintain the break angle regardless of where you set the action height, or how far you bury the whammy handle.

Yes I'm a mechanical engineer (BSME 1993, MTU)

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member

supa-fuzz

I don't get you guys with tuning issues, took my '69 SG to band practice last week and played the crap out of it for 3 hours with old strings, no tuning issues and sustained like echo from a mountain top.

Bruceman

Used them since the 60's. No tuning issues. No issues. See and hear me using mine on youtube at the KOB contest. Type my name into the youtube search. And there's more coming. Vibrola's forever.

Bruce Fulper

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I don't get you guys with tuning issues, took my '69 SG to band practice last week and played the crap out of it for 3 hours with old strings, no tuning issues and sustained like echo from a mountain top.
Used them since the 60's. No tuning issues. No issues. See and hear me using mine on youtube at the KOB contest. Type my name into the youtube search. And there's more coming. Vibrola's forever.

Bruce Fulper
I'm not saying they all have tuning issues and there are plenty of examples that support this. I just know that the one that I had did and the sustain wasn't as good as my Les Paul....but then again what does?

I guess what I'm more looking for is an aftermarket unit that:

1. has some technical advancements from the original design,
2. is designed in a way that people could bolt on without irreversible damage (screw holes)
3. looks as good as the originals.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Stetsbar/Vibromate products.

Marble

On an SG, it looks cool to have the hole from a removed vibrola if your instrument looks a bit worn already, IMO.

Also I thought they made a Bigsby that would work with the original holes of the guitar. I don't think they look as cool as the normal vibrolas but it would work for you probably.

supa-fuzz

Also I thought they made a Bigsby that would work with the original holes of the guitar. I don't think they look as cool as the normal vibrolas but it would work for you probably.
No such bigsby made that uses vibrola holes.

John Vasco

I've lusted over SG's with vibrolas for years and actually got to have one for a while. Unfortunately I had to sell it. It was, however, awesome.

Yes the tuning was a pain in the but;
Yes the sustain was diminished,
Yes the vibrola actually only contributed to a little warble and not big dives...

BUT IT LOOKED KILLER AND WAS FUN TO WANG ON!!!!

So please, take my idea and make me an aftermarket vibrola that:

1. Mounts in the exisiting tail piece holes and strap button.
2. Solves the break angle problem.
3. Offers more consistant tuning - perhaps a spring system that can be hidden under the engraved piece.
4. Looks cool.

Let me know when your done so I can buy one. K Thanks!
I had no problems with tuning or sustain with this one, nor with any break angle:

But then, I was not into using it. Just made sure I put the time in to settling any new set of strings in, and keeping them that way.

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I had no problems with tuning or sustain with this one, nor with any break angle:

But then, I was not into using it. Just made sure I put the time in to settling any new set of strings in, and keeping them that way.
WOW....that is an awesome picture. Do you still have this stuff? If so, I bet this jeans are really grimey by now! :p

Trending Topics

Top Bottom