Dear sounds guys. Stop with the delays.

Pkdawg

Just my pet peeve. Sound guys must get too bored. They can’t stop dicking around with delays on singers. 9 out of 10 times your tap is off timing or using the wrong note length. While your at it, stop adding delay to my guitar solos too. It’s never the right mix and sometimes the wet is louder than the dry which them makes me sound like I’m playing way after the beat. Just stop it. Set a slight effect as needed and leave it then work your eqs.

sants

This band in my area overloads the vocals with delay. Very over saturated slap back.
The problem is they use it all the time. I mean constantly and it’s never turned off. The sad thing is they have a great lead singer. To me it just takes away from the talent.

Now delay used in the right part of a song or trying recreate a cover is ok by me. Just do it tastefully. As you stated the timing is important or it just sounds off.

We also need to address lighting. The new rave are the light bars with a few type of effects. Problem is that most bands let them run sound active and have the sensitivity set so a feather hitting the floor would set it off. It looks like a clown show and could induce seizures. I’ve left shoes because it was insane and distracting.

JWes65

Platinum Supporting Member
Just my pet peeve. Sound guys must get too bored. They can’t stop dicking around with delays on singers. 9 out of 10 times your tap is off timing or using the wrong note length. While your at it, stop adding delay to my guitar solos too. It’s never the right mix and sometimes the wet is louder than the dry which them makes me sound like I’m playing way after the beat. Just stop it. Set a slight effect as needed and leave it then work your eqs.
I could not agree more! I know of a world renowned singer who for some reason has a...and keeps a horrible sound engineer. Every concert she sounds like she is singing in a huge metal bucket. Even as far back as 2004 I was on side stage listening to her sing and it was agony. Some of the songs on record are the same. Wayyy too much delay and reverb.
A good sound engineer can make or break you. Best to get it right.

Last edited:

Mike Monte

I don't use much in the way of effects
In my area there are weekly Portuguese festivals during the summer months. These festivals are large (2000+ attendees per day) for our area. If I have an open date on a festival weekend, I'll go (great food!).
The entertainment usually centers around an ethnic-appropriate band plus a couple of "karaoke singers" (singers with tracks). The sound production is usually done (it seems that the same guy does several ones in our area) by a dude that is DJ'ing the festival.
How can I tell?

When the band (or other) vocalists sing, their sound is way-too-wet....totally soaked....god......I can still hear the echo ringing from a show I went to last July - lol.

DJ's providing sound for bands are the worst (in my experience) offenders. I swear that there is an industry standard "karaoke setting" that they all use. We are not in the Grand Canyon or touring a cave.....sheesh....

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
When I played the club circuit back in the day and had to use the house pa I always talked to the sound guy before the show and asked him to just work the levels. We had our own full rack system because most venues didn’t provide one. I got used to doing all the adjustments during the show myself. Our material didn’t really call for a ton of changes anyway. But I’ve been there myself in the early days of gigging..back when all we had was crappy instruments and tiny amps etc.

Pkdawg

Adding to my OP. I also do sound for my band when there isn’t a house pa. I set it and forget it and people tell me we sound best when we use our pa. Go figure.

It’s like sound guys discovered tap tempo and it blew their mind. They love trying their skills where it might sound good and seeing if they can keep time. They need to remember they aren’t show.

I’m not saying I don’t appreciate sound guys, but they can certainly make or break a show with stupid ADD tendencies. Stop fiddling.

griggsterr

All effects are like salt and pepper.
A little is great, too much you want to vomit.
Also the sound guy needs to find a place to mix to. I made this mistake early on.
If you try to mix at the back of the room your delay mix will be entirely overwhelming at the front or middle of the room.

GMGM

Delay all the time can be a drag, but sometimes it adds. For example, I just saw Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa. THey played a tune from "Roxy" which has a single word repeated several times. The soundguy kept missing the delay on the line....

She's just like a Penguin in Bondage, boy (boy) (boy) (boy)

I mean, they sing the line a million times, and he got it ONCE.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
It’s one thing if, like mentioned above, the sound guy works for the band and is supposed to do this. But a house sound guy? No freakin way!

A buddy of mine was even worse. Not only did he throw effects on stuff without the band’s consent, he would sing harmonies from the vocal booth. The band would be looking around trying to figure out where it was coming from. I’ve seen some folks get pretty upset about it...as would I.

drfrankencopter

Silver Supporting Member
It’s kinda funny to hear folks complaining about sound guys who are actively trying to make adjustments to delay during their set...at least they’re trying. I’d rather that than a disinterested “set it and forget it” sound guy.

Nonetheless, I get that delay isn’t for everyone, and it shouldn’t be an ‘always on’ thing.

Rex Anderson

If the band is doing cover songs, the FOH engineer should know the appropriate sound, do your homework, listen to the original tracks. FWIW, if the band is professional, they provide notes like tempos so the sound man can have presets worked out. I did production meetings with the bands I worked for to get as much info as possible. Good to know the song structure, solos, use of FX etc.

Of course house sound guys don't always have that luxury, let alone a good sound check.

Overuse of FX is the sign of a novice, as is pushing solos up too much. Good balance and a tasteful mix requires finesse and practice. I taught lots of guys how to mix, it takes time to learn to be subtle yet effective.

slayerbear17

In my area 4 years of gigging cant say it happens alot or been a huge problem. I can say most would voice opinions and most sound guys would be out the door with 20 in line to replace them.

Light shows on the other hand, we got fed up and bring our own programmed light show.

Mike Monte

This past Saturday the wife & I went for dinner / to hear a band at a local restaurant.
The (60's/70's) band did their own sound - again, too much 'verb on vocals (sounded "karaoke-ish")...even in between songs when the band was bantering with the crowd... but, 'you know what, the people had a ball, dancing, etc. so more power to 'em.

From a musician's standpoint, I have found that "heavy effects" masks poor intonation.
Singers that sing well usually don't need much IMO......

Trending Topics