Dear Strymon Reverb Department

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by greenlander, Jun 13, 2012.

1. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to see the shimmer not be so much a setting, but a separate button. Kind of like how the EHX Freeze works. Shimmer is way cool, but most of us don't want it on all the time.

2. Mayfield

Mayfield Silver Supporting Member

I think they should go über simple and just call it...

The Tank

Get it...reverb tank.......built like a tank....

Ah well, cheesy factor went too far. Lol

3. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Skyline needs a TremVerb mode, and something similar to the Space's Blackhole. Very cool potential. I really can not help but think that the Skyline OR a Glass Nexus (in this same format) will be Strymon's next pedal. Since they just put out another reverb, I don't think the Skyline will be next.

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

They are caught up on Timelines, half way through the opening melee of Flint orders, I wonder how far out the viral hints could possibly be?

5. 100JH

100JH Member

I really like that Skyline idea...I want the ethereal Old English Monster Cathedral tone in there though (is that in hall or canyon mode?). Put me on the list.

FS: BSR $225 + S/H/I :)

Hey they got a new Customer Service rep, Rick...Lets get Mikey, I mean Rick, and see if he can help us out.

http://www.strymon.net/2012/06/22/say-hi-to-rick/

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Something I read a while after posting this: apart from Eventide's track record on studio gear (sometimes used on film soundtracks), it seems the Space itself was used in "Prometheus": http://www.eventide.com/News/User Profiles/Prometheus.aspx

7. ACE 4080

ACE 4080 Member

I think they will go this route To take back all the strymon an reverb fans who are dissatisfied with the space (quite a few it seems like). But I just don't see how they can release this and still keep people buying the blue sky. The el cap and brigadier both do things that the timeline doesn't, so people can justify having both, but what does the blue sky do that they wouldnt have to include on this? They need a wet-like setting, and a shimmer or else this will be a huge dissapointment.

8. picbiff

picbiff Member

9. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

space was pretty awful so I will eagerly await this puppy.

10. thiscalltoarms

You know, I agree with this. The only thing I could see was if they made the shimmer a machine instead of a param- then you could only get one type of shimmer on the skyline vs bsr's shimmer on hall, plate, or spring. But, I really think they should just retire the BSR and release the Skyline. I don't see anything else from the BSR they could leave out.

11. ACE 4080

ACE 4080 Member

Unless they left the bsr for those that want a simple, more conventional effects pedal, that's all I can imagine them doing besides simply discontinuing

12. greenlander

greenlander Member

Awesome! I agree the Space can be very cinematic. Works great for film soundtracks.

Yeah I agree it may compromise their existing reverb pedal sales, because I'd definitely want all the current sounds of the BSR and Flint to be included (along with all the additional functions and reverb settings they'd come up with). It's not exactly like the TimeLine/El Cap situation where the TimeLine dTape doesn't do everything the El Cap does. I'd want the Skyline/Verbline to do BSR++/Flint++. But I think there will always be people who want simpler pedals without a ton of bells and whistles who would still go for BSR/Flint.

By the way, I emailed Strymon and sent a link to this thread so they could at least see there's a favorable reception to something like this. I'm sure they already had this floating around among their eventual "maybe/to do" lists, but as long as they know we're out here it can't hurt...

13. Birthofahero

Birthofahero Member

This is the first time I have heard anyone displeased with the Space...What were peoples problem with it?

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

According to user input and a comparison of features, I would say that 95% of features, including the most important tone shaping ones, are definitely there on the Timeline. As for having both, it's not a question of needing every last feature available but of choosing the right package: a cheaper and easier to use, or a much bigger with extras not even remotely available on the smaller one.

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It would be easier to post a new thread on that instead of making a new discussion here, but it would only contain bits of the info already present in past threads: it sometimes sounds a bit rich and "metallic" on the highs, something that can be dialed out if you take your time with the dry/wet mix, the 3 EQ bands and other settings of resonance etc, but most people don't (it's quite complicated after all) and think it's a flaw on the dry signal going through an AD/DA conversion instead of staying analog. Add that to its high price and lack of brand worship (such as Strymon) and you start to get the picture.

16. HP Hovercraft

HP Hovercraft Member

I like that this theoretical pedal has a My Bloody Valentine patch. :aok

17. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

AD/DA complaints make me giggle. Theoretically it bothers me, but my ears don't hear it. :huh So it must be okay then.

18. Birthofahero

Birthofahero Member

I do get the feeling that Strymon is Jesus round these parts...ironic considering most play in a worship setting...

19. greenlander

greenlander Member

Could Strymon make a reverb pedal so big even they couldn't stomp it?

20. thiscalltoarms

Interesting comment. I am a Strymon fan, pre-timeline I had 7 different delays with 19 programmed options on my board. Now. I have a Timeline, a Carbon Copy, and trusty DE7. I bought a Space and sold it, kept the BSR. I miss my El Cap but I can do without it. Does that make Strymon the focus of my worship? Idk, I think its more that alot of times designers have a signature tone to their products- for instance I discovered by trial and error that BJFE/Bearfoot drives work best for me. And over 400 gigs on my HBOD and SYOD tell me that isn't changing.

Same way with Strymon- I've owned every verb and delay I have heard of just about, around 30 delays at minimum. The best compromise live for me is thr Timeline. I'd loveto gig three TTEs, but that'd be gratuitous. Regardless, I sold the El Cap, demoed the Orbit and Lex. Not my thing.