Dear TGP Staff, can we have a "Huge Rack" section?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by DieHon, Sep 29, 2016.

1. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

I'm all for it. But please also make a donation to HRI to keep their servers running. Last I read he was going to keep the content online for a year, and thereafter it depends on donations. Even if we get a rack section here, it's unlikely to ever have the depth of content already sitting there, and in danger of getting lost.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  2. slowerhand

There is zero confusion, just willfull obtuseness by one troll.

Funky Claude and DieHon like this.
  3. slowerhand

Agreed that would be a better long-term solution, but in the short run I think it's worth paying for the life support machine. I've saved about 10-15 threads myself already, but I'm just starting out with racks and would like future access to a lot more. If he'd sell a DVD containing most useful content, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

italo de angelis likes this.
  4. slowerhand

As an aside, question for people asking for a synth section, what's lacking with Gearslutz? I'm not very familiar with that forum, but it seems very active.

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

THE best audio forums on the web. Period.

splatt and Gary Ladd like this.
  6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I'd MUCH prefer all HRI info remains accessible to anybody, without the need of registering to another forum... where one could be banned and loose that.
    Also... who knows if this place will be "most likely around and kicking for decades".... no, a different and more open solution is a better way to go.

One thing I see here is that serious and good info is missing... and I mean in huge amounts. And often there's a bad attitude against knowledge from many. That doesn't look good.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Member

I don't see a cab anywhere, so curious what purpose the power station is serving that the Torpedo doesn't handle?

8. slowerhand

HRI is great for the depth of knowledge sitting there. My main interest in having a section here would be if new and specific questions come up, but for just learning as a newcomer to racks, I don't think a section here will ever come close to the breadth and depth there.

I like the idea of porting some of the best-of threads here, but that sounds like a big undertaking (IT experts invited to chime in), so I'm not holding my breath.

9. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

You rack guys are so sensitive.

10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

One has to consider the limitations TGP has about posting files. Kind of unique. On HRI and Gearslutz you can post any kind of material/file type freely. Here you need to be a supporting member. Understanding the value of knowledge beyond these limitations is a capital point... for all knowledge, not just for a forum.
    I have contributed several informative subjects on HRI and it was easy to compose text, add images and what not. Here is very convoluted. One way to add info from HRI is taking images and posting them here. That seems to be a quick way, quick enough... I have my material ready and I'm waiting for the right time to share things if hopefully I see a need for that kind of info.
    The day I'm going to see a post just a click more advanced than the resident idea of best modulation based on bucket brigade chips... well that day I'll know it'll be worth talking about waveshaping/unipolar-bipolar sweeping and stuff like that, sharing some good info on it.

11. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Nice stuff there!
    You are killing those units in the rack between those tight walls. Heat kills them... be sure it WILL.
    Needs air flow.
    o_O

12. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Don't worry their's airflow on the back. It's not flush to the back wall. Their's air-con also. It's been running like that for years without problem.

13. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

If I am not using a cab, the Power Station adds an FX loop after both tube heads. This solves the biggest issue I had the first time around with the Radial Headbone back in 2005-2008- I want to use amp gain from to different amps but still have my verbs and delays after the amps / Radial switcher.

However, in building this rig I wanted it to be as flexible as possible. I use a cab about 1/3 performances, so I just plug my cab into the Torpedo Live speaker out (bypasses the Live load) and that makes the Power Station the volume control on my stage volume through the cab. I just adjust the input sensitivity of the Torpedo up or down depending on how much stage volume the Fryette is running- that keeps all my levels manageable and my rig doesn't require any major reconfiguring when I switch from direct to direct+cab a stage monitor or even just mic-ing the cab, in which case I run a cable from the Torpedo Live out to the IEM input. So I have the cab on stage at whatever volume the FOH tech wants, running either direct or mic-ed, and I can easily hear myself through IEMs whether the venue supplies a feed or not. Works great so far.

Funky Claude likes this.
  14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

@italo de angelis, have you considered starting/hosting a new forum? or, maybe acquiring HRI?

15. Heavyelement

Heavyelement Member

My humble rack to add to the mix
    [​IMG]

drifterphase likes this.
  16. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Gearslutz is top notch. Lots of heavy hitters there. For recording info, there's none better. Their synth/keyboard forum is very active as well. Ask a question about how a certain record was made, and it's likely the engineer who had a hand in it will pop in with answers within a day or two.

17. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Starting a thread is not the best way to reach TGP staff. These get buried. Use PM.

18. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

PM sent.

Points made: rack gear talk leads to discussions of monitoring, eg choice of monitors, acoustics, recording history, etc.

The point being that a rack gear forum is a different environment than "effects, pedals, strings and things."

Aside from telling the staff member you support the idea, consider strong arguments for how the forum is needed.

19. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Some more rack gear pics !

Main guitar rack :

[​IMG]

Bass/Synthesis small rack :

[​IMG]

Recording room PA/interface rack :

[​IMG]

I like pedals too so I'm not totally out of place in here :

[​IMG]

20. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Message received. Quite honestly, I have no idea how many members here have an interest in racked gear. If it is a fair number, I can see adding a new section. I do not know the owner(s) of HRI and have no idea whether they want our help in any fashion. I also respect the fact that HRI was so focused on a particular area of gear. My answer as one of the TGP owners is that I'd like to read more of this thread (only read the last page or two so far) and would like to get a sense of how adding a new topic area would benefit our members/readers. I also don't want to step on the toes of another forum if it can be avoided. I will begin participating in this thread for a while.

Serious Poo, Funky Claude and Jerrod like this.