Dear Winter, give me back my frets, please.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
So single digit temps the last month has sucked every bit of moisture my humidifier can muster. My home made tele was starting to feel like a cheese grader. I decided to do something about it.

So I got on the Stew Mac site and got me some files and a bit of an education on filing fret ends. They showed up today and after about an hours worth of fiddling, I got them filed down smooth. I wish I would have got the micro mesh pads too but maybe next time. Its not that hard to do but it can be easy to scuff the side of the neck if you get a little over zealous with the files. $30 bucks worth of tools and a glass of scotch later. Not bad if I don't say so myself. :aok

Mars Rover

I just did this last week on a brand new guitar, an MIM Fender. Sprout was extreme so I almost sent it back but read some advice first. Some advise to hydrate the wood while others say to take advantage of the condition and file the fret ends because it will just happen again if you don’t. The latter made more sense to me. I had never before filed fret ends specifically but had done the fret polishing thing many times before using fine sand paper then working on down to 0000 steel wool and polishing compound so I wasn’t too concerned.

goldtop4g63

I run my humidifier 24/7 and can only get just above 30% humidity. Forced hot air is tough on humidity when i had baseboards in my last place it was easier to get to 40%. I'll have to look into getting those files not all my guitars are showing some fret pop but it sure would be nice not to feel it.

DCross

Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk
Gold Supporting Member
At home I've been blowing my hot, wet, fetid breath on my necks when I take a guitar out of the case to keep the wood moist. Yes, I must look like a crazy, guitar licking pervert to the DHS agents that are hijacking my webcam. (Well, at least that's the worst thing they can accuse me of).

I live in South Carolina and boy is there humidity. Sometimes in the summer, the air just feels wet. So I'm lucky. I don't have problems with fretboards drying out.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
High humidity isn't so grand either.
The west coast of Florida and the south coast of Mississippi where I lived sucked in that regard.

Metlupass2

Silver Supporting Member
The last two winters in Chicago have been brutal on some of my guitars. My Tom Anderson Drop Tops and Jems are the worst, but my ESPs and Suhrs aren't bothered at all. Maybe because of the rolled edges.

I bought a cheap Vick's warm mist humidifier this year and it has seemed to help in the guitar room where they all hang. Last year the same guitars were unplayable, this year they're not AS bad.

Trending Topics