DeArmond/Dynasonic sound in a humbucker-sized pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nmiller, Feb 17, 2015.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I regret selling a '56 Country Club a while back and am considering replacements. There are a number of nice-looking archtops out there with humbuckers, and I'm wondering if there are any aftermarket pickups that would give me that great Dynasonic sound without the need for additional routing. I'm aware of the GFS Surf 90; are there any other options? Let's say that price doesn't matter.

2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Given your experience with the originals, I doubt that a GFS would be satisfying -- they really don't sound like a Dyna.

I think your best bet will be TV Jones T'Armond of some sort. He does them in a standard Dyna mount, as well as a P90 and (most recently) in a Filter'tron-style housing. I don't know if he can do them in what he calls an English mount (a drop-in for normal humbucker routes), but it's worth sending him a note. They sound fantastic.

The Duncan Dynas sound good, too, but I think they're only available in a Dyna mount, so that doesn't help much.

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

HD Z90s reminded me a bit of dynasonics. Somewhat, not a close match.
    MD

4. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

The TV Jones Magnatron is as close as you'll get in a humbucker package. They really DO sound like single coils-- in fact, it was TVJones' original intent to make these sound as close to DeArmonds as possible. The use the same big slug alnico magnets as DeArmonds and have tons of sparkle & twang. Available in standard humbucker mount and also in "English mount" (Filtertron size case mountable to a standard humbucker style cavity).

T-Armonds are not available in a standard humbucker mount (yet), but will be available in a Filterton mount later this year.

6. nmiller

A staple-type design would be a good substitute. I didn't know these Duncans existed - thanks for the suggestion!

7. nmiller

Actually, poking around the Duncan Custom Shop store, I came across the Dynobucker. Looks like just the thing.

8. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Ah, that does look interesting -- and the Duncan custom shop Dyna copies sound good. Their staples do, too -- they were modeled after an original in a '55 L5-CESN that a friend had, and it was incredible.

Those Dynobuckers are kinda yoogly, though. The TV Jones versions in the Filter'tron mount aren't on the website, but he's been shipping them for a couple of months. I'd ask about an English mount version before buying the Dynobuckers, but either would probably sound great.

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

10. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Twangmasters aren't advertised as such but they are very similar in sound to old Fender WRHB's. They are true hum canceling single coils.