Dearmond?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vbjamin, Dec 1, 2005.

1. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Who plays one regularly, What model? Are they more than a flash in the pan or would you recommend one? I have seen a few used pieces at good prices and would like some feedback ,I know guitars are personal but give me your thoughts. They seem loaded for the money to me but the wood seems heavy and soft, what is it?
    Thanks

2. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I have a DeArmond X-155 hollow body. I don't use it often, but I would say it is a good value for the money. The other DeArmonds I have played have been nice as well. Not spectacular, but nice guitars...especially for the price.

3. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have two DeArmonds, and have owned several others. All solid bodies.

My current DeArmonds are two, an M-72 (setneck, chambered mahogany flat-top with maple top):

[​IMG]

And a Jet Star (setneck, slab mahogany body):

[​IMG]

I've also owned a DeArmond M-75:

[​IMG]

As you can see they're totally gigworthy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only reason I don't still have the M-75 is that it was so similar to the prettier M-72 (I also preferred the stoptail over the harp tailpiece), and that I needed funds for a different purchase.

If you can find one of the setnecks with no issues for under 3 bills, buy it.

Period.

The GoldTone HBs are bright PAFish humbuckers, the 2000 single coils are in P-90 territory reportedly. I have not owned one of the 2000 single coil guitars but I have heard them played both live and on record by a local fave player. The M-75T and M-77T (with Bigsbys, T for tremelo) are both kinda poor man's Gretsches.

Really really fine budget axes.

BK

4. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I've got an M-77T which is the later version of the M-75T. It's got a (D)igsby and USA Dearmond 2k pups. The 77 also has as channeled body. Much better neck angle and feel to me. It's basically a replica of a Guild Bluesbird. Very Les Paul like but with more of a snarly P-90 tone. No pic of this one. New they listed for $1000. You can find these around $300-$450 now. Prices have been now that the have been discontinued and folks have found teh hidden value in them. Great guitar!

I also got recently an S-73, which is similiar to the Guild S-100 or Polara like model. Like an SG, but with offset horns. Has Dearmond Goldtone pups, which are very PAF like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yup, Andy turned me on to his DeArmond M77-T maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I've wanted one ever since. Broke down a couple weeks ago and bought this one on EBay. For 400 clams, this is an excellent guitar. Extremely playable, stays in tune well. Very good parts and very good workmanship (it's notably better than plenty of Les Pauls I've seen in the last 10 years).

Great tone through those 2k picukps. Like a funkity P90 sound. Very cool.

Hey Andy - Dig that S-73!!

6. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I really like that Tennessee Orange Leon. I'd buy another just for that color. Too bad they didn't make that champagne sparle in the M77T series, only the 75's. Yeah you'll have to try the S-73 next time we meet. Tina Wood did smokin job dialing the neck in. It plays like butta'. I'm sort of thinking I might dig around for a T-400 nect.

7. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

That Jet Star looks similar to a Gretsch body shape that Billy Gibbons has played lately. I could be wrong, anybody know? Was that an original Gretsch design?
    Anybody know thw wood type on an M77, I am trying one out and it is heavier than my Heritage 157 (LesPaul)

8. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

The Jet Star shape is that of the old Guild Thunderbird. The new Gretsch shape is similar, but I believe it's based on an old Gretsch design. If so they're both from the same era where others were trying to match Gibby's V, Explorer, and Firebird.

Dunno about the M77 but if it's heavy my first guess would be agathis. If not that it's mahogany.

BK

9. indytone

indytone Member

I play my M75-T all the time. When I bought it, I couldn't believe how solid it was for the money. Great neck, great pick ups, great blue-sparkle finish and white binding, and the Bigsby-copy trem is brilliant. It never goes out of tune on me, and I use the trem all the time.

I picked mine up for $230 about two years ago. Last I looked, they are going for a bit more than that. Like others said, you'd be hard pressed to get a better guitar for under $300 or even $400.