Death By Audio "Factory Tour"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by enocaster, Apr 9, 2008.

1. enocaster

enocaster Member

2. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

3. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Fun. Brings me back to my warehouse and storefront days.

4. burner

burner Member

I didn't see a customer service department, which would explain a lot.....

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

My band has toured a couple of times with Dirty On Purpose (who share that space with Oliver) so I've tried some of George's pedals. It's cool, unusual stuff. That loft is sketchy, for sure!

Steve

6. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

7. vorvick

vorvick Member

8. brianf

brianf Member

Ouch. That place is a dump. How can good consistant pedals be made midst that chaos.

I won't buy any of those boxes.

brianf

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

They have a very DIY approach but I wouldn't discount their product because of the conditions they choose to live. I've heard nothing but good things about their pedals (except for some extended wait times).

10. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

That place looks like a chaotic dump!

After seeing that video, I ordered a Fuzz War. Good emails with them, and it should be here Monday.

Full review coming soon...

11. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

:rotflmao

that's cool, less wait time for me

12. burner

burner Member

Well that certainly doesn't mirror my experience.
    I ordered a pedal on 3-1-08
    I've sent many emails trying to confirm or check the status on my order,and I've come up empty handed.
    I eventually filed a paypal dispute which got ther attention because shortly thereafter I received an email apologizing and he asked if I still wanted the pedal which could be shipped in "the next couple of days" or if I just wanted a refund.
    I repiled back within seconds and told them that if they'd stick to that timeline I'd still take it and again inquired as to the shipping method (so I would know where to pick it up.)
    Nothing.
    No reply, no pedal, no refund, nothing.

I don't mind waiting for products at all but I insist that the people be upfront about the timeline even if there are unexpected problems, and that my correspondence is relied to...especially when they address me with the correct name....

No matter how the 'shop' looks or how/where they do business...I don't hold anything like that against them but I do require answers to basic question when they take my money.
    It's not like I'm one of those "call all the time and annoy people" guys.
    At this point I really can't see doing anymore business with them.

13. brianf

brianf Member

The state and condition of a shop has everything to do with the consistency of work performed. The mess also has a lot to do with staff attitude.

I work for a lease compny. Lots of machine shops and mnufafcturing plants.

When they apply to us for an equipment lease one of the first things we look at during the site inspection is how organized and clean the shop is.

It says evrything about the shop and workers.

I can almost guarantee that Fulltone, Zvex, Cochrane, MI Audio, T rex. etc do not have shops that look like that.

brianf

14. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

brianf,
    Your point is valid, but these are not exactly boutique, "sweet mids" pedals here. They are insane, amp destroying weaponry. As such, they should be made by crazy people who do not respond to your emails. IMO

15. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

no you cant. you cannot guarantee anything. for all you know zvex builds pedals in a shack in the mountains.

16. burner

burner Member

IMO, if you take people's money, you should respond to their emails.
    (unless they are dealing with very annoying assholes....it happens)

17. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

I had a gut feeling that ordering directly from them was probably a mistake, but I couldn't find any fuzz wars in stock at other resellers. They explained that they just got back from touring, and would get me one soon, and they did. I got a shipping confirmation through UPS.

I figured it was a gamble, but I feel that way ordering from any and every small home-run company.

I get the feeling that the person who responds to emails is also the person who solders, prints, assembles, orders parts, tests, packages, etc...

18. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

two things, one is that it reminds me of early EH for some reason, and second that i have a feeling these guys dont bother combing the 'net for things to clone, hehe.

19. burner

burner Member

I actually meant to order through a vendor but I forgot and had several screen opened and I accidentally ordered directly.

20. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 Couldn't have said it better.

I've owned a couple of their pedals, and will probably own a couple more at some point. They are very unique, and very eclectic pieces of kit.

FWIW, wherever possible I usually order gear like this through retailers to prevent communication & timing issues.