Death of a Rocktron Short Timer Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jmburke, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jmburke

jmburke Member

I used a gift certificate my girlfriend gave me to buy a cheapish delay at Guitar Center (Rocktron Short Timer), and after about a minute of use the LED stopped working, and after about a week of use it started getting this tapping noise that wouldn't stop. I called Rocktron support and within 5 minutes I had a new pedal coming my way, and they didn't give a damn about the old one. I'm glad that they're really good on their warranty policy, but I'm kinda scared that this will happen with the replacement as well. So I was wondering if this had happened to anybody else who has used this pedal, as all I've heard have been good things.

-Jason

2. RomanS

RomanS Member

Mine is still working - but it also works as a booster now...
    No matter if the delay is switched on or not, when I've got the DhortTimer between my guitar and amp, it is WAY louder than when it's not there.

Unfortunately I bought mine used...

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've had no problems with mine. I think the tone is great. Doesn't have the most solid feel to it, but no problems.

4. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

Close to three years of trouble-free use out of mine.

5. Grap

Grap Member

I had a similar experience witha Dan Echo years ago. Bought it in Hong Kong, came back here and a week later it stopped working.

Six months later I found a Danelectro contact email hidden on their web site and fired off an enquiry. To cut a long story short, I had to mail the pedal back to the store I got it from and then get my Brother In Law to send the Office Messanger over to pick up a new one and pu tit into the post for me. That one worked fine for about seven years until the sockets all fell to pieces after I used some Phillips contact cleaner on them. I gave it to a mate at work to repair but he couldn't find the exact parts and had to try to modify the I/O board, which I suspect he's messed up and is too embarassed to 'fess up on. I contacted Danelectro to try and get a new I/O board but they seem to have adopted the new World-Wide standard for Customer Service[1] and have completely ignored my email.

1) As in "We had our mare serviced by a stallion last month."

6. jmburke

jmburke Member

Well, as a follow up on the pedal situation. I got the new pedal so nicely packaged from Rockton on Valentine's Day, and got to play with it for about two minutes. After about 15 seconds of use the LED died again, and after about two minutes of use the same popping noise came up... And the pedal was rattling when I pulled it out of the box.. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow!

7. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Odd, I've used mine for about 4 years solid. It's one of the pedals that I get compliments on the tone of regularly. Never had an issue.
    If one of you guys want to sell the broken one's off cheap pm me, I'd love to play inside the little critter.

8. jmburke

jmburke Member

I don't think I'll sell it since my friend and I were gonna try to get the old one (now both, actually) working. pedal does sound great though... if it were alive. :FM

9. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Maybe its the power supply burning the pedal out?

10. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I doubt it's the power supply mines never had a battery in it, unless people are using something funky.

11. jmburke

jmburke Member

I've just used the provided battery that came in the pedal so I don't really think that could be it..

12. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

wait a sec...the batt is probably dead. try it first with a 1-spot or a boss PSA. it's a digital pedal, so batteries will never last very long

13. jelyfinger

jelyfinger Member

I love Roctron products! Although I do not have the Short Timer delay, I have quite a few other Rocktron items & Rocktron stands behind their stuff like no other! Best service in the biz! Jim at Rocktron is the absolute best!

14. jmburke

jmburke Member

I don't think it's a battery issue, since I only used it for about 2 minutes before it died.. But I'll try that and get back to you anyway. Rocktron really does have incredible customer support though.

15. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I got one as a Christmas present last year. Mine works fine. It is a little noisy when engaged, but no noise when the effect is off. Not bad for a $60 pedal. I like my Boss DD-20 better, but that was $129 more. I just wanted a simple delay to throw in the back of a combo, and it fits the bill so far.

16. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

Jesus, I thought it was the name of the new Lovepedal delay:D

17. jmburke

jmburke Member

WOW! The final conclusion to the problem: dead batteries were shipped with the pedal... So now I have two working pedals for the price of one! Rocktron support rocks!