Death to the Floppy Drive

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Maltese Fan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

I did it again. I already replaced the floppy drive in my Triton, with a Gotek floppy to USB adapter.
    I had another one I ordered from China for cheap. This one wasn't as plug and play as the one I ordered from a US shipper. It took a little Googling to figure out the jumpers, but I got it sorted out. It's installed in a Peavey SP sampler.
    My advice is to stick to US shippers. There are a bunch of different versions of this adapter.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:54 PM
  2. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have an EmaxSE which I’m just waiting for the drive to fail. I love the sound so I’ll probably get it fixed if it dies.

3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

If it's a bad floppy drive, I think these floppy to USB adapters are great.

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

How would I transfer the disks I have? I have like the complete collection from back in the day, some classic sounds I can’t really replace.

5. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

You can buy an external floppy drive that connects to your PC via USB. Transfer your files to your PC and then use the Floppy to USB adapter down the road. Or you can buy some floppy drives and keep them as spares. I have a crap load of drives from the 90s and early 2ks. Pretty much brand new pulls from PCs. I wonder what the market is for them since new ones go for like 50 bucks or so if you can find them.

6. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

If your PC can read the floppies the external floppy drive will work. Some samplers/synths use a proprietary format for their disks.
    I ran into this with my Peavey SP. Translator by Chicken Systems may help here, not cheap though. If I use my Peaveys, I'm going to just start fresh. I can transfer samples via SCSI to it from my PC. The things about old floppy drives, even NOS is the belts get old.