Deathbed visions, dreams of the dying and dreams of the dead visiting the living

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by archey, Jun 4, 2019.

1. archey

archey Supporting Member

I've been interested in this phenomenon ever since I learned that it's a pretty common occurrence. Before my grandmother died she had reoccurring dreams about my grandfather who had passed a few years prior. She told me that for some reason in her dreams he was always faced away from her and it really frustrated her.

Whenever my grandmother passed I had a dream about her. I had been feeling really guilty because she died and then the next day my wife and I went on vacation to Florida. We had already paid for the trip and the rest of the family told me that she would have wanted us to go, which I know is true, but I still felt really guilty.

Anyways the day after the funeral I dreamt that I was at her house. I was standing in her entryway at the front door. She hadn't been able to drive for about the last ten years of her life which really bothered her. But in the dream she was putting on her coat and had her keys in her hand. She told me "I'm going to get her. I love you, but I've got to go." Then she gave me a kiss on the cheek and I immediately woke up crying.

I don't know who the "her" was in the dream. But it felt so real, like I had just actually talked to her. I haven't had another dream about her since. But I feel like it did help alleviate some of the guilt that I felt about taking that trip. Almost like she was fine.

I don't want to make this a thread that draws people into arguments. So let's leave the theories about how real or not these kind of dreams or visions are. Do any of you have a story that you'd like to share? Have you dreamt about dead loved ones, or have dying loved ones had deathbed visions or dreams?

Here is an interesting video on the subject. Well worth the viewing.

2. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Weird stuff for sure.
    My uncle who passed 20 yrs ago came to me in a dream about 10 yrs
    ago.
    We spoke back and forth. I asked him how my grandfather is. He asked me which one. I woke up shocked.

Now can a dream reason like that or was it real?

sausagefingers and archey like this.
  3. SteveO

SteveO Member

Dreams can be fascinating stuff, I think much of it has to do with the things that weigh heavily enough on us that our brains decide to put in a little overtime and process things after hours. After my divorce, for about six months, I had recurring dreams of conversations with my ex-wife about things that we never really managed to come to terms with. And every dream ended without closure, which is really hard on your nerves after a while.

archey likes this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Over the course of the last few decades, I've had a recurring dream of my dad and I going for a walk, and having a simple chat as we walk through wooded foothills on a gravel trail.

It's always been a comforting dream.

I haven't dreamt it since he died in 2006.

archey likes this.
  5. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

I've been "visited" in my dreams by both of my deceased parents and also by a deceased friend. I am in no way spiritual or religious, but it sure felt like something real happened, even after I woke up.

Timcito and archey like this.
  6. SteveO

SteveO Member

The brain is a powerful thing. It can convince you that there is no pain even after sustaining an injury, it can convince you that there is pain when nothing is wrong, so it's not a stretch for it to create scenarios that seem completely real. It is, after all, the CPU that processes and deciphers all incoming data from our senses.

7. archey

archey Supporting Member

If you guys didn't watch the video that I attached I highly recommend it. The doctor who is giving the Ted Talk isn't mixing any kind of religious talk of any kind in his findings. It's all just information accumulated from talking with people in hospice care during the months and weeks before their deaths.

It seems like a large percentage of people experience dreams of deceased relatives and friends before dying. In most every instance it's a pretty profound comfort to the dying patient. Call me morbid, but I find myself very intrigued to hear these kind of accounts.

Lution likes this.
  8. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Now that you mentioned it, my mom had a really vivid dream about her dad before she passed suddenly. Can't remember the contents of it, as at the time it didn't seem significant, but she remarked how clear and detailed it all was. She passed a week or so later.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    archey likes this.
  9. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I’ve had very vivid dreams of my deceased father, however I’m of the opinion that nothing about the personality or life survives past the point of death. I think my subconscious was just working overtime those nights.

archey likes this.
  10. SteveO

SteveO Member

I wonder if this is because these people know that they're getting close to the end, and maybe their thoughts are of those that have passed before them? Lying on your deathbed seems like a time when many people would find themselves contemplating the whole concept of an afterlife...

archey likes this.
  11. prsjcm

prsjcm Member

A Rock&Roll anecdote: Layne Staley swore up and down to Mike Starr that Demri visited him the night before he OD'd.

Personal anecdotes: I had a incredibly vivid dream one night about my best friends father. Who was like a grandfather to me and also happened to be my Dad's best friend. The following morning(a day later), my father woke me up to tell me he had passed away. I've always been spooked by that.

The other was a couple of months after I put my German Shepherd down in 2005. I had dozed off on the couch one evening and had a dream about her. She was a 85lb dog and in the dream, she was laying on my stomach on that couch at that moment. I could feel all of her weight on me while she licked my face. The dream was so real and so vivid that I woke myself up attempting to wipe the slobber off of my face. But it was dry and I was heartbroken all over again.

That said, I know she was there with me in spirit.

jpervin, Angeln, Derek Revell and 3 others like this.
  12. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

My dad passed away 28 years ago, my mom 4 years ago, she never dated after my dad died. A couple years before she passed she was at home alone (she was around 80) and fell in the living room and smacked her head on the coffee table. While she was out, she saw my dad walk over to her and help her up. She then called my brother to come over and help. Wasn’t her time and dad came back to make sure she was OK! Thanks dad!! Miss them both.:(

Timcito, Lution, SteveO and 1 other person like this.
  13. archey

archey Supporting Member

Interesting. I'm a huge AiC and Layne fan. I'd never heard that before. Where did you hear that?

14. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

Some would argue pain is an illusion

archey likes this.
  15. prsjcm

prsjcm Member

It was in the book that came out a couple of years ago. Mike went by to eat and get high with Layne and he was adamant that Demri came to visit him the night before.

16. archey

archey Supporting Member

Idk. I just broke my foot a couple weeks ago. It feels pretty real.

Steeltoe and Lt Dak like this.
  17. SteveO

SteveO Member

Others will tell you that pain is what lets you know you're still alive.

archey and coltranemi2012 like this.
  18. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

That’s how illusions work

rizla likes this.
  19. archey

archey Supporting Member

Was it "Get born Again"? I wouldn't believe one word written in that book.

20. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

Excellent reply