Deathbed visions, dreams of the dying and dreams of the dead visiting the living

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by archey, Jun 4, 2019.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I never knew my grandfathers but I dreamt about both my grandmothers after they passed. The first was my nana. She died while I was at college, going through a pretty turbulent and trying period of my life. She basically said to me that I was perfectly normal and that everything would be all right. I woke up very relaxed and comforted. When my gramma died 14 years later, I had a dream about her old house, it was night and no lights were on. It was a brilliantly lit moonlight sky outside the windows and then I saw her sitting in a rocking chair looking out. She said to me "I've always enjoyed the moonlight and the stars." I didn't know this about her and when I turned to say something she was gone. The pang of loss was so sharp it woke me up and I was crying.

My dad passed in 2006. I really miss him and I cried a lot. A few months go by and I had a dream where I met him, in a younger version. He immediately knew it was me and we joyfully reunited. He was actually younger than i was at that time, probably mid 30s, dark haired and still slim. I was nearly 50. We both marveled seemingly reversal of chronology. There was something so real about these dreams. I haven't had any others like them since. I've had other dreams of my dad since then where I'll suddenly realize he's not living anymore and I must be dreaming. Oddly enough I do not find them sad.

2. prsjcm

prsjcm Member

Edit; I think it was the David Desola book. Which I thought was pretty good.

archey likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

Regarding deathbed visions, there are two fascinating books by neurosurgeon Dr Eben Alexander, which deal with this subject matter, presented from a scientific position. The first book is about his own experience while in a near death coma. The 2nd book has a number of other persons tales presented. NDE survivors often have very compelling recollections to tell.

archey likes this.
  4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Good video. I've seen enough death/dying to not be particularly surprised. It made me think of this shorter Ted Talk with an EMT.

DownByLaw and archey like this.
  5. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I didn't have any when they died but I've had a few dreams of visiting my grandparents on my mom's side over the years. Somehow, I'm whatever age I currently am and I'm back in my home town. Nothing has changed, everything is exactly as I remember it. I decide to go see my grandparents, never thinking about them being gone. I drive over there and there they are. The house hasn't changed a bit and they are both smoking...which is what killed them both. The details of what we talk about never stick with me though. But, in the end of each, I tell them I really can't stay and give them both hugs. My grandma tells me to come back soon, I tell her I will and the dream ends. These aren't ones I wake up after but they stick around in my head.

I find these dreams a bit sad but they leave me feeling that wherever they are, they are at peace and happy.

archey likes this.
  6. Madsen

Madsen Member

I had a dream I talked to my Mom after she passed. She was upset she had saved for a trip she never went on. I asked where she wanted to go & that made her sad. I asked if there was something else she wanted to talk about & she asked if she could walk. I told her she could & woke up as she rose. She'd been suffering from dementia, clots, had trouble walking & a bunch of other issues towards the end.

She always said if she could find a way she'd come back & haunt me.

archey likes this.
  7. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Thoughts are opinions.

8. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it Silver Supporting Member

Actually, I have. A guy who was like a brother to me died in 2005, in a bad way. His wife died in 2003. They were like family to me, and it was truly heartbreaking..
    So, I had a dream last week where my fallen brother was very aggressive, coming at me physically, so angry.
    Hey, I chalk it up to how it all went down...there was an intervention, and he attempted to get physical with me, so I wrapped him up and placed him in the car to take him to rehab, and that's the last real contact in our previous relationship.
    That being said, our mutual friends have always maintained I did the best I could at the time, etc.
    I still had the dream, and it still leaves me a little shaken.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Mngwa and archey like this.
  9. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

There's nothing scientific about Alexander's claims. And dragging him into this discussion is a good way to get this thread locked.

joethepainter likes this.
  10. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

I have not had this experience myself, but my grandmother did. About a year after her brother Darwin died, they couldn't find some important documents that they thought Darwin had before he died. Darwin came to her in a dream and told her that they were in his attic, and showed her the box they were in. She didn't even know he had anything stored in his attic. But when she went several days later she walked right to the box, opened it, and there they were.

That side of the family has had multiple experiences like this, which we only know about because they wrote them in their journals. I suspect that it occurs more frequently than is reported.

archey likes this.
  11. EON371

EON371 Member

If the experience was real to you, then the experience was real.

My dad passed away in 2013 (today is actually his birthday, 6/5). I don't recall how long it was after he passed, only months, but I had a dream that I woke up and he was standing at my bedroom window knocking gently and trying to get my attention. In my dream I woke up and sprinted out into the front yard, and can only remember saying with the deepest longing ive ever felt "Where you been, dad"!? He just smiled his knowing, kind, and slightly mysterious smile.

In my heart I know that we're closer to a reunion than we are to a lifetime apart.

archey likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

He is a scientist. And a brain surgeon. His claims are based on a scientific viewpoint. His brain was being monitored during his coma, and there was no brain activity. The subject refers to deathbed visions. I'll leave it at that. If someone wants to delve further, that is up to them. Not saying anything at all is provable. Let's face it, you won't know until you cash in your chips. It is great reading material for someone who wants to dig deeper into the subject. There have been a lot of studies into this subject; he is just one of many resources available, and he has considerable clout. This is open, civil discussion here, regarding a controversial subject.

13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

I've had some really vivid dreams before; it is a super impactful experience.

I see one of 3 choices:
    *any communication you're having in dreams is your own brain talking to itself
    *It's real, the dead loved ones are reaching out to us
    *It's real, but the ones reaching out are actually imposters. This would include things such as an interdimensional entity (angel, demon, alien, etc) or the Voice of God mind control technology weapon.

Not sure how we can come up with a definitive provable conclusion that is not based on subjective personal philosophy/faith

archey and Steeltoe like this.
  14. okie

okie Supporting Member

I played with my first dog I ever had in a dream once, that count?

15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I don't think the speaker or OP are intending to answer that particular question. In fact, the doctor is just describing the dreams people experience as they approach death and how many (most?) people find comfort in them. On its own, that's an interesting fact and potentially comforting. I've been witness to several family members go through the process of dying (hospice rather than something sudden) and those people weren't panicked or particularly afraid. It's possible their experience in dreams had something to do with that.

archey likes this.
  16. archey

archey Supporting Member

OP here. You're exactly right about where I was trying to go with the thread. I hope the thread can remain civil and respectful of the rules of the forum. It is an interesting and often times comforting phenomenon to the people involved.

lp_bruce and Steeltoe like this.
  17. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Oh he still has a medical license, but his privileges have been revoked from numerous hospitals. He's somewhat of a dishonest person.