Debating the switch to bass

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JTL, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

This is exactly what I mean. Transcribe several Duck Dunn lines and see if you still feel like he is not busy. He just makes it sound that way.

2. sinner

sinner Member

yes folks we have a winner over here....[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. Seems like a lot of music is the same old stuff with laid-back same as always bass--maybe if more bass players had some genius there would be some more interesting music out there.

Just a thought. Songs written from a bass player with strong ideas have a way of driving the music to new places.

3. frank62

frank62 Member

Sir Paul has done ok playing the bass.

4. richt

richt Member

I love playing bass, it is such a different rush than guitar! Agreed that it is all about supporting the pulse of the music and giving the rest of the band something to groove against and on top of. If you are playing with a drummer, you have to be close and learn to lock-in as a rhythm section. Use your ears more than your hands, that's a good start!

Cheers,

Richt

5. JTL

JTL Member

/thread

6. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

What are some music you appreciate? I'm not a Bass player though I have one, I play gtr. If we were talking about this face to face, I would ask about what music you love... But I'd also mention what I already have in this thread... and add... Learn the Basic ( as a brilliant Bass playin' friend claimed Bass is ! ) and I would suggest listening to Phil Lesh ( Grateful Dead ).... Chris Squire ( Yes ) and Geddy lee ( Rush ).... etc

I would guess the bottom line for me is that you include the "whole world" of Bass... not just a bottom end groove drummer support tool... But the whole world of deep sonics and sound in music... as genesis sings... Whatever you do, you better start doing it right.... Now I guess it's about figuring what's right for you eh? lol Good Luck with that one!

Maybe some real Moog Taurus Bass Pedals will work for you... You can continue with the gtr and still introduce some Bass.... I wouldn't suggest samples of these pedals.. That's NOT the real thing... find the real thing somewhere.... This will also allow room for any Bass player in a Band... though they might want the pedals themselves..... Then what can you do? ...this can tend to seriously get out of hand!

Good Luck!

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I don't know about that. Seems like a lot of music is the same old stuff with laid-back same as always bass--maybe if more bass players had some genius there would be some more interesting music out there.

Just a thought. Songs written from a bass player with strong ideas have a way of driving the music to new places.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of genius bass players. The thing that makes genius in bass is the same thing that makes genius in guitar, not just knowing when to play, but also knowing when not to.
    The key to being a good musician no matter what instrument is to know how to do what is appropriate for the song, not just the ability to do bunches of notes in varying configuration.
    With bass this is FAR more important, because good bass isn't a matter of a lot of notes, it is a matter of the right notes in the right places.
    A good bass player holds the bottom end down and doesn't forsake it to go off on some expedition. Good bass players know how to do runs that fit the music, don't leave the low end stranded to chase after, and are about the band rather than about the individual.
    Guys like Klaus Voorman, Leland Sklar, George Biondo, Stu Cook, Carl Radle, and Ronnie Lane knew something 40 years ago that was invaluable, something that many guys now can't seem to figure out.