Decals & Nitro Lacquer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by deandavis, May 13, 2015.

1. deandavis

deandavis Member

Hi all,

I had a question for all your experts out there.

I have a neck that's been finished in nitro. I recently applied decals to the front and back of the headstock and now I'm looking to apply some nitro lacquer over them. What I was wondering is this...

(1) Am I able to spray the front and back of the headstock at the same time? Or will doing this cause the back decal to "drop off" as the nitro lacquer melts?

(2) How long should I wait after spraying my "mist coats", and how many heavy coats is usually recommended?

(3) Any other advice on finishing this off with nitro lacquer?

Thanks!
    DD

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I'm no expert, but the nitro will set up in about a minute. I wouldn't go heavy, just enough to wet it out good. Watch the flow as you spray it (use light reflection at an angle) Stop spraying just before it's totally smooth. It should then flow before setup for a smooth finish. Too thick and you can get fisheyes etc. lacquer is a PITA sometimes.
    You don't need more than one coat, but I usually go until I get a nice looking coat.... then leave well enough alone.

3. bootsypratt

bootsypratt Member

1) I highly doubt it will fall off, it's actually stuck on there pretty good.

2) Rule of Three, usually every 3 hours no more than 3 times a day. You can sometimes do in lease amount a times and possibly more than 3 in a day, but that may increase your chances of problems. With Decals you probably want at least 10 coats maybe 15 to be safe so you can level it out without a sand through.

4. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks everyone! Do I still need to wait 3 hours between coats for the mist coats as well? Or would I be able to say do the 2-3 mist coats tonight, then wait 3 hours and do 1 heavier coat? Then tomorrow do 2-3 coats three hours apart?

Also - do you guys usually sand between coats?

5. bootsypratt

bootsypratt Member

You would probably be alright. Especially if it's dry with low humidity.
    Don't spray with humidity over 60% if you were not already aware.

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Waterslides are a PITA. I went to rub on transfers to avoid the pucker factor. My even be worthwhile shooting over with urethane, I used to do it and had less wrinkles in the decal.