1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

December 7, 1941

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CRAIG4FSU, Dec 6, 2016.

1. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

My grandfather lied about his age to join the Navy right after Pearl was attacked. As did most the able bodied men in his home town and in towns and cities all across the country. He and my great uncles, like everyone else, wanted to "kick hell out of the Japs and get payback!".

He died this year as have many WW2 vets. They were an extremely brave generation and I'm very proud of him and them.

15 and looked it too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

Whole different Navy back then. Had a CPO who lied about his age to get in as well. He used to tell stories to us young guys in the deck department of back when ships were wood and men were iron. After 34 years in they turned down his request for one more reenlistment and he passed away on a plane back to the US. Awesome guy.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

4. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

My Great Aunt lived on a hill over looking Pearl Harbor. She had a gun emplacement pretty much in her front yard and said she would give the soldiers lemonade and coffee.

5. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

They didn't label them The Greatest Generation for nothing!

My old man served in the US Navy in WWII. Here he is, around 1943, in Washington DC. He worked in the Ordnance Dept., helping to design new weapons. He passed on in 2005.

[​IMG]

6. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

My maternal grandpa was on the second wave of Normandy because he was a carpenter and they needed them in high demand after the beaches were secure. He never talked much about it until much later in his life. He spent a lot of time building coffins in addition to building bases. He also had a German POW work as his assistant who he said was a nice guy (not all Germans were uber-Nazis during that period).

My dad is four years older than my mom, and his dad served in WWI as a machine gunner. He was born in 1900, and at 17 enlisted. He was 45 when my dad was born (only child; I think my dad's parents had trouble having a kid as he had a still-born sister prior to him being born).

To think of all that's going on in the world today, I cannot comprehend either of those times and what it was like. I mean with WWII the country was also just coming out of (but not fully out of) the Great Depression. My generation is so spoiled. (I'm 34)

7. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

grandfather was a gunner on an aircraft carrier in the pacific during WW II. he occasionaly told stories of kamakazies trying to hit the ship and other crazy stuff.

8. scotth

scotth Member

Wow, does he ever look young! How old did you have to be to enlist in the Navy?

9. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

I went in at 17 with my father signing for me.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Never forget those guys who served in WWII. I still approach, talk to and thank any WWII vet I see, and it doesn't happen often, as most of them are gone now. The were the greatest generation, IMO.

11. pbmw

pbmw Member

My father was an embassy guard in thr Marine Corp in Peking. Taken prisoner 75 years ago today.
    Went on the Nan King Death March. One of 206 North China Marines. Spent the entire war as. POW. Liberated by MacArthur.

12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

A day that will live in infamy

sixstringfuel, lousyatit and Rimbaud like this.
  13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

There may be some men like them now but it was the whole generation back then!
    My dad tried to enlist at 14 but didn't make it. Besides him being about 5ft 2 and 100 lbs, the recruiter knew the family and dad's age. Some guys could fib their way in but not dad. They already had 2 of his older brothers and 6 of my mom's brothers. Not many of them talked about it later except uncle Dennis, and his tales were so far-fetched that we knew he was bullsh!tting us kids...it always bothered me that his one son (my age) was so damned irreverent and insulting to his dad, a navy vet.
    Man, there are just not many left to tell the tales.:(

14. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Btw, i hope the media never stops covering the story of Dec 7. I look forward to it every year. Amazing those lines at recruiters' offices across the country, stretching around the block and full of young men ready to sign up and give 'em hell.:cool:

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Even if hardly anyone knows what "infamy" means. ;)

16. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

They rose to the occasion. I would think given the same circumstances you would see a similar response now. We would be less prepared on average physically but I think there are a lot of Pat Tillmans out there yet. I look at the high school kids walking home in the evenings when I'm in town and they are a pretty fit looking bunch. I would hate to see their lives torn apart but people will do what they have to do.

I've posted this before so forgive me if you've already heard this but my grandfather was a Col. in the Army Corps of Engineers who was three or four hundred yards off of Omaha Beach directing the landing. He was in Normandy for the 50th anniversary and was interviewed by Peter Jennings. He started crying on camera as he described the impossibility of walking across the beach without stepping on bodies or parts of bodies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  17. swlees

swlees Member

fretless, lousyatit, Wolfboy1 and 7 others like this.
  18. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

Great picture - can't wear that dixie cup cocked any lower than that. I loved wearing the crackerjack uniform and luckily got out a month or two before they switched.

Rimbaud, Wolfboy1, Outlaw and 2 others like this.
  19. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

My dad Zeke quit high school and joined the navy before Pearl Harbor to escape a messed up home life - was on his way to Pearl when it got hit - upon arrival things were still smoking - they decided to "temporarily" assign him to the carrier Enterprise - he spent the rest of his war on the Big "E" and was aboard for all of her heaviest action.

fretless, Phil M, vicjoy1945 and 8 others like this.
  20. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

My father-in-law was there that morning....U.S. Navy....Basil T. Morrison....he survived....but he never forgot it.

R.I.P Sir.