Decent Amp shop in Philly area

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by richey88, Apr 22, 2008.

1. richey88

richey88 Member

Anyone? It seems we're all Sam and GC around here. Bluebond downtown is nice, but small. He runs a kids music school and the used amp selection is fairly pedestrian. I want to pull the trigger on something really cool, but if I'm gonna spend 1200 + I wanna plug into it first.

Thanks!

2. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

What brands are you looking to try out? Honestly most stores I've been to in the area have a pretty poor used selection but there are some in the surrounding areas that have some decent stuff new that you could use to at least give stuff a test run.

3. richey88

richey88 Member

I'd love to try a Komet, 65 Soho, Carr, %13.......

4. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I think Dtown guitars in doylestown carries Carr. But I've never seen Komet, %13, or 65 Soho in the Philly area. Maybe some places in NJ do.

5. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Hey Richey88-

I'm your neighbor, I'm in Yardley.

A good place to check out is D-Town Guitars in Doylestown. They have a lot of interesting stuff, not just you typical GC fare.

He had a few Carr, Bad Cat, and older Fender amps there, as well as Allesandro and a few custom builds that didn't have name plates on them. Some older Marshalls also.
    Some other stuff too, I was guitar shopping and didn't look at all the amps.

He has a site, but he doesn't seem to update the inventory much. I'd give him a call and to see if he has anything you might like.

EDIT- Cancelthesound beat me to it.

6. richey88

richey88 Member

Thanks neighbor!

7. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Medley Music in Bryn Mar (did I spell that right?)use to be good. Someone told me they have downsized their inventory since I have been there.

8. xStonr

xStonr Member

Cintinelli Music at the Oxford Circle and Roosevelt Blvd is one of the oldest and bestest stores in the Philly area.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Philly is fairly bleak in the boutique musical gear arena...

10. LesMarshall

LesMarshall Member

Medley Music had CAE, Suhr, Dr Z,Bad Cat & I know they where checking out %13 also ... Mike in the guitar dept is a member here,perhaps he'll check in on their current lineup .... GC in Cherry Hill at times has had DrZ,Alessandro&Komets in stock

11. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Cintioli music used to always have a ton of used gear. Haven't been there in a long time so not sure if things have changed (does Benny still run the place??). I've seen some good stuff at Russo's in Trenton as well.

12. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

Maybe head over the river to Trenton and check out Russo Music. . . their website should list what brands they carry.

13. JMarck

JMarck Member

West Chester Music has Carr, Mesa, Marshall, Fender, and more.

14. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

Medley is good, as is Russo. You may also want to check out 8th St. Music...I've never been there but have heard they have lots of inventory.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

like lesmarshall mentioned,

medley does have good amps, but you have to go up into the "acoustic roots" shop upstairs in the back where they have the amps in another room away from the more delicate acoustics. you'll also find some nice suhr and collings electrics, too!

larry always has a stick up his butt, but tom (larger gent w/ the beard, and a mean lapslide arm) is the man. really chill, and totally cool.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

8th street was pretty lame last summer when i was there, and i'm pretty sure they're a few steps away from being eaten up my guitar center.

17. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Both Larry and Tom are gone from Medley.

.....and while he can be snarky, once you get to know him, Larry's a great, extremely generous, sweet man. One of my best friends, in fact. He just hates retail (*do it for a while and understand)......which is why he's out of it now. But, he created Acoustic Roots out sheer will and hard work, when no one else had the balls to invest in boutique acoustics. Not to mention he's a GREAT guitarist.....used to do Nashville session and road work, and just finished up a few years with Robert Hazard.

On the topic at hand......ALL of Philly and the 'burbs suck for high-end gear. I've been to all of the stores, and while there's some good people at some of them, there are no owners who are willing to make the investment and go for something different, much less keep a good stock of $$$$, oddball items.

I'd love to spend my boutique dollars in the area, but I've just about given up.

I play out a LOT, and something as basic as a FD2 pedals gets bewildered looks from most local musos.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

woah,

didnt know that. i've known larry since the jenkintown days, but dont get me wrong. tho, felt like i always caught him on the "off" days, i bought both of my huss & daltons from him. oh well.

shame about tom tho, he was always ready with a nice lick or two to show me. :(

19. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

not too far away is Russo Music in trenton. lotsa boutique amps, guitars and pedals. worth the drive!

20. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Tom's down at West Chester Music, I believe.......yup, a great guy.

For silly reasons, I'm not really comfortable shopping down there, but I understand they are upgrading their inventory........still seems like they have one of this and one of that, however. Not really THAT stocked up, but trying.