Decent attenuators?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cheebatone, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I need an attenuator. Bad. But the only one I've ever used (some Marshall thing) was just that, bad.

I've heard equally good and not-so good things about THD Hot Plate and the Z Airbrake has been brought to my attention with fairly good reviews.

Could a few TGPers please post their experiences with whatever box they've used, please?

(I've just started to read about the London Power Power-scaling device. It sounds very interesting. If anyone has used it, I'd love to hear their thoughts.)

Cheers,

Charly

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

easiest thing would be to do a search - you'll get more information and detail than you could possibly need on all things attenuator....:) there's a lot of info already in here on products, views, likes, dislikes etc.

cheers - just trying to help

3. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've got a Airbrake, and I like it a lot. It's very transparent until you really get it down to bedroom type levels(you can even adjust how much attenuation each click on the dial will give you,via the internal controls). it's easy to use, as it works with 4,8, or 16 ohm, rather than buying a specific model for use with varying amp/cabs. It's built like a tank, so it should last for a long time without issues. In summary, if transparency and plug and playability are your desire, I highly recommend it. If you wish to use it for tonal coloration, etc.. you might prefer one of the other makes.

4. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Weber Mass 50 watt user here. I think it sounds fantastic down to about half way on the attenuation knob.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Big fan of the THD HotPlate myself and have tried others...

6. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

The Weber mini-mass tames my 25 watt head quite nicely ,has options and features that lend themselves to a dry/wet set up , recording ect. Sounds as good to my ears as other more expensive ones I've played thru (but not owned to be fair)same as any sounds best in moderation . And at 70 -80 US it fits my more for less gear buying philosophy just fine!

7. pluto

pluto Member

Depends on the amp. For Marshall 50-100 watt amps, my favorite is THD. I also liked the THD for the Bogner amps that I've owned. With respect to the EL-84 amps I've owned, I liked the Z better.

8. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I hadn't thought that the type of amp might make difference! It's going to used with a 6V6 amp.

Cheers.

9. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have had five different attenuators each one sounds different on the same amp. Some just seem to sound better on one amp then another there was no one that sounded best on all of them. The single best sounding one was the Ultimate but it is a re-amp unit in one box. For a Tweed 6V6 inspired amp I would check out the soon to be released Maven Peal RG88.

10. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

I've had superior results with my Jim Kelley attenuator (came stock with the amp) and she runs on 4 :)eek: ) 6V6'ers with around 520W on the plate. Needless to say she's a monster and the attenuator is really complimentary in taming her. However, I don't know how easily you'll find one of these, I only see them pop up every once in a while seperate from an actually 30/60 or FACS amp.

11. Orren

Orren Member

Cannot go wrong with the THD Hot Plate. I've compared it with others, and it's always my "go to" attenuator, regardless of amp.

Orren

12. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Try to find a used Palmer PDI-04... I scored one for $150 last year and I don't get why it's not talked about more. It's a 1U rack piece with 2 switchable attenuation settings. Very very, very convenient !! You can have a perfect solo boost at the tip of a footswitch.

13. Timster

Timster Member

I have experience with the THD, Weber and the Ultimate Attenuator. All three are good....some work better than others with certain amps. The THD was great with my Bad Cat Hot cat and modded marshall...sounded like crap with my Germino RockGrinder and Route 66.

the weber worked decent with my Two Rock amps, especially the Ruby, it also sounded decent with a splawn....sounded like mosquitos with my GainStar

the Ultimate seemed to work with everything I've tried so far. It's awesome with the GainStar.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Ultimate, since it sounds the most transparent at very low volume, and because it seems to work with more amps than the other two. One negative is that it is more $$ than the weber and THD.

14. KLB

KLB Member

Ditto. And it takes a while to get. I like mine... for an attenuator.

Later this year, I plan to dittle with the London Power Scaling kit in a Germino Club 40.

Another route to consider is the reissued Palmer PDI-03 ($540). The originals were highly sought, so the the reissue should be popular. (Do a search, a recent thread talks about this).

You will need a power amp witht the Palmer to reamp your head into the speaker cab. The Ultimate Attenuator is a more cost-effective solution (relatively speaking, at $499 with desirable options.) That is, if you don't plan to insert effects between your attenuated head tone and speaker cabinet.

I don't know which sounds best for the volume you want to play:

Amp --> Palmer PDI-03 --> (optional effects) --> power amp --> Speaker

OR...

Amp --> Ultimate Attenuator --> Speaker

15. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

The ultimate attenuator is in stock now at

www.revolutionguitar.com

Perhaps I should post this in the dealer emporium, but I'm putting it here as it was mentioned that these take some time to order. No waiting as I've got them in stock.

I also use the ultimate attenuator, it's by far the best attenuator that I've used, but I must admit that I haven't used them all.

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

For me, the best attenuator depends on my needs and the amp.

Ultimate Attenuator -- I don't have one yet, but I'm going to get one for home use because my MASS and Hotplate don't sound that great at wife approved volumes like -16db.

THD Hotplate -- When I can crank my Z28 up and the wife isn't home, -8 is great and -12 isn't bad either. But at -16 it isn't that good. For live use, I don't care for the -4db increments in volume drop, too much. Good for slaving to other amps though with the line out feature.

MiniMass -- w/ a lower wattage amp like my Z28 it's the best choice for live use when you want to drop your volume a little bit but keep your power tubes crunching. I like that it isn't limited to -4db increments like the Hotplate.

So for home use: Ultimate Attenuator is best.

For live use w/ a lower wattage amp that may only require minimal volume reduction, I like the mini Mass.

For live use with a high wattage amp, I think the Hotplate would be great.

That's the way I see/hear it.

;)

17. hear and play

hear and play Member