decent inexpensive powered monitor to run AMT Labs pedal into?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by spookyelectric, Mar 16, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I'm pretty well decided on an AMT Labs Legend Series II pedal for an uber small den setup for my guitar and wondered what are some decent inexpensive powered desktop studio monitors that would work well with it?

Seems like there are a ton of different powered studio monitors-- what are some good ones that would fit the bill for my needs? They don't need to be any bigger than a bookshelf style speaker, and I would only need one since I'm not running a stereo rig. I figure this might allow me to get a nicer monitor since the nicer ones are usually priced per speaker, not per pair.

So what say ye?

2. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

I tried going this route with a tech 21 character series pedal into some speakers, but if I could do it again I would have bought a small, cheap acoustic guitar amplifier. Monitors require some type of amplifier or mixing board anyway, so it's not as uber small as it sounds like it should be.

You can get acoustic guitar amps cheaper than powered monitors, they have EQ if need be, and cover more of the sound spectrum than traditional guitar amps.

3. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

4. rsm

rsm Member

Line6 AMPLIFi. I dig my FX100. If I did not have my FRFR I'd likely get the 150.

5. spookyelectric

Powered monitors don't need an amplifier-- they're powered and amplified on their own. I'd worry that an acoustic amp would be too bright, and most of the acoustic amps I've seen aren't as inexpensive as a single powered monitor speaker.

6. spookyelectric

I tried one at GC and thought it sounded meh-- digital and small sounding. It wasn't the metal sounding one, it was the one that was more rock oriented.

maybe I shoulda spent more time with it?

7. spookyelectric

Cool looking but I've never had good luck w/ Line 6 stuff-- always sounded digital and fake to me :(

8. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Some people recommend the cheap Alto powered speakers. I think its the TS115. They go for about $350 on Amazon.

9. spookyelectric

wow, $350 is cheap? I'm a total noob when it comes to monitors. Some of the ones I was looking at are like $150 for the pair. Would those just be totally awful?

10. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

Oh didn't realise you'd specified powered monitors. I've never seen any as cheap as the bottom end, 10 watt acoustic amps you can get these days (generally around $150, eg Fender Acoustasonic).

But sure I imagine any inexpensive powered monitor will be fine.

I'm not sure why you think an acoustic amp will be brighter than a monitor speaker. Both of them are of course brighter than a guitar amp but acoustic amps and powered monitors both generally aim for a broad spectrum EQ.

11. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I use the 5" m-audio monitors and they're fine. I run bass, guitars, and synth through them at home with the kids.

Are they as good as Genelecs or Focals? Nope. Do I care when I'm making music through them? Nope. :aok

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

You mostly get what you pay for. Good monitors aren't cheap, unless you happen to like what you hear, as in, ymmv....

buy used~~~~~~>>

jon

13. spookyelectric

I think buying used would be the way to go for me...

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Alto are the value leader. Price out a power amp and passive speakers - the Altos are a huge bargain leader.

15. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

The M-Audio AV-30 powered desktop speaker pair that came bundled with my Pro-Tools setup long ago are fine. I thought they'd be disposable, but they surprised me and I now use them for day-to-day desktop computer applications (iTunes, streaming audio/video, etc.) without any desire for anything "better". As above, no, they're not going to compete with the high-end studio monitors, but that's not what I'm after, and they are like $99 for the pair.

The ONLY issue I've had was a "whistle" when loudly pumping some DEEP bass dance music synth patches through them. At reasonable listening levels, and especially with proper guitar amp sims attenuating the lows and highs, there shouldn't be any problems at all. I've used them with my HD500 and they were fine. And you are able to use just one without modifying anything (the pair is not hard-wired together.)

16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Do you need a studio powered monitor? Rokit 5

Or are you looking for a powered PA speaker? Alto 10

17. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

From experience I'd try and go for an 8" speaker if your using it just for guitar, it's a jump in price but a 5" speaker will sound small and tinny if your guitar isn't in a mix with other instruments, the m audio ones a guy posted about earlier are pretty much as good value for money as your likely to get and I think they do an 8" version.
    I was looking on ebay recently for a pair of studio monitors and there were quite a few bargains to be had if you only needed one speaker, unfortunately I needed 2 lol
    If I were you I'd search eBay, find a bargain and then Google some reviews