• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Decent reasonably-priced boom mic stand?

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Atlas and Hercules both make decent boom stands, but both are a bit north of your budget. In my experience, any boom stand in your budget is going to have the dreaded "sinking" mic syndrome.

What you could do is buy a cheap non-boom stand and buy just an Atlas boom arm to attach to it.

MLG Audio

I have used the $20 musicians gear ones for years without issues. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. That being said, I recently upgraded my sound company's stands to DR Pro. Sure they're $70 bucks each, but I don't see myself having to replace them any time in the near future.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
I cannot agree with the first reply, you get what you pay for, the guys in my band show up with these 20 dollar boom mic stands, and you could blow them over, they don't even sit level on the floor. The DR stuff is just more re branded stuff at guitar center, for cheap stands I use Jam Stands, for better ones i use Ultimate support or Hercules,
also a fan of the newer Galaxy Audio Convertible stands, it works like a cymbal boom stand the boom portion goes back down into the main tube, so they fold up small and are protected.

B Money

the $65 K&M boom stand from GC is pretty good. Definitely a step up from the economy brands. Those $20 stands universally suck. I know because I've have to deal with them for years. Every band I've ever played with had those crappy stands that fall apart and can barely hold up an SM57 without toppling over.

Guitardave

At the risk of the offending anyone....A lot of performers don't know the basics of how to setup a stand properly. Don't extend the boom to full length, use the height of the stand and a minimal boom angle (the mic clips have adjustment, use them). Also, put the boom in line with one of the legs of the tripod or they are inherently unstable.

That said - the cheap stands do wear out after a few years and drummers or certain other instruments need a heavier duty base!

the $65 K&M boom stand from GC is pretty good. Definitely a step up from the economy brands.
I like these as well but I've had a few of the cheapo On-Stage stands in use for a LONG time and they still work fine as long as you know how to set them up.

fisticuffs

The Tama stands are surprisingly nice. I've had good luck with inexpensive On Stage stands as well. Atlas, K&M are also good options.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I cannot agree with the first reply, you get what you pay for, the guys in my band show up with these 20 dollar boom mic stands, and you could blow them over, they don't even sit level on the floor. The DR stuff is just more re branded stuff at guitar center, for cheap stands I use Jam Stands, for better ones i use Ultimate support or Hercules,
also a fan of the newer Galaxy Audio Convertible stands, it works like a cymbal boom stand the boom portion goes back down into the main tube, so they fold up small and are protected.
I don't agree with "the DR stuff is re-branded stuff." Re-branded from what? I've tried all the GC stands and most suck. The DR's have been wonderful for me. Never had one issue with them. They're much thicker than the standard Ultimate or On Stage stuff. K&M and Atlas are better, but DR are cheaper than those. I agree, though, that you get what you pay for in this department. I had all kinds of problems with stands until I bought some DR's and K&M stands. Never had an issue again.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
I mean that DR is a house brand for GC and MF they buy them from several sources, and yes they are a a step up from the livewire, or musicians gear or whatever they call their $20 mic stands and $5 mic cables.

B Money

my biggest complaint about the cheapies is their lack of durability. I'm a weekend-warrior part time hack, and I play in a dad-rock band with other amateurs that don't treat gear with any kind of respect. Stands get tossed around, piled on top of each other in the back of a van, and setup by anyone with the approximate skill level of a silver back gorilla. Consequently, the cheap plastic parts break and/or get lost, the thin wall metal tubing gets bent, and the threaded holes quickly get stripped.
After several months, the stand is being held together with duct tape.
The more expensive stands certainly work better, but they are also a lot more durable. The cheapies can be perfectly serviceable, if you take care of them, which we don't.

MLG Audio

I quite literally have a set of 6 on stage stands that came with a bag that have been used every weekend for the last year and have held up. If your band is breaking your mic stands so quickly, maybe you should have a talk with your band mates about treating your gear better.

B Money

oh, it's not my gear that gets broken. I look after my person equipment very well. The stuff I'm referring to is collectively owned, purchased years ago from a "band fund" that we all contributed to from gig money.
I bought a nice K&M stand for my own person use, because I got tired of dealing with stands held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

Silent Sound

I quite literally have a set of 6 on stage stands that came with a bag that have been used every weekend for the last year and have held up. If your band is breaking your mic stands so quickly, maybe you should have a talk with your band mates about treating your gear better.
Yeah, that's a great point. Although things do get broken and lost. Mic stands seem to be especially prone to this. That's why I mostly buy the cheapest mic stands I can find. They all seem to break or get lost or stolen eventually. Sure the cheap $20 stands suck from the beginning, but that's also their advantage. Because I know they suck, I don't worry about them getting broken, because they will get broken. I also don't worry about them getting lost or stolen when they do get lost or stolen. They're cheapness also means I always bring a backup to gigs where I have to bring my own mic stands. No, they won't hold heavy mics well. But if you torque them down hard enough, they can work. Yes, they do tip over easily. But get some ankle weights and place them on the base and that problem is solved.

So yeah, an expensive mic stand will outlast a cheap On Stage stand by at least 50 years, should you not lose it. And you don't want to risk placing the fate of an expensive mic into the hands of a cheap stand. So if it's for studio work, I'd recommend you get a few expensive mic stands for your more expensive mics. But for live work and other studio work I recommend the El Cheapos. It's a lot easier to forgive your bass player for leaving a $20 mic stand at a gig than leaving a $200 mic stand, and if you gig enough, it will happen. Plus, 10 $20 mic stands will probably stay with you longer than 1 $200 mic stand.

swiveltung

Mic stands are the pits.
3 legged folding ones:
- carry easy but fall over on stage
-and the cheap ones strip out the tightening threads.
-On small stages they take up too much floor space also.
-They don't work well with a pedal board either.

Old school weighted bases:
- work better for me,
-take little floor space
-don't interfere with your pedal board
- but of course are terrible to carry.

I've tried a couple (not cheap) new designs in the last couple of years and both were terrible, hard to adjust etc.
I'm amazed no one has come up with a weighted, small diameter base, tri folding base type yet.

Trending Topics