Decent String Samples?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bassomatic, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

...that won't break the bank?

I'm working on a thing with faux string quartet (even using -gasp! - pencil and staff paper) and my Proteus 2000 ain't cutting it. That said, I'm broke at the mo, so it can't be too much $$.

Doesn't have to be ultra-convincing, as it's going in an electronic piece.

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have a wonderful sets of string samples that I can loan you, if you have the right sampler formats, or Mach 5, or Gigastudio. No charge, happy to do it.

Or...you can do them in your proteus, create a MIDI file, and I'll play the file back with my samples, and record it for you.

3. Bassomatic

Les-

You're a pal.

Being a control freak (and still tweaking my parts, etc.), the former approach would prolly be more feasible.

I've yet to purchase a soft sampler for this project, but i'm leaning towards the NI's Kompakt or Kontakt. What formats are your samples?

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

They are Akai, Roland, and Kurzweil. email or call me and I'll tell you what I have.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

BTW, one way to record a "quartet"on the cheap is to hire a violinist and a cellist. Write the viola part within the upper end of cello's range and record them in two takes. A good violinist can play each violin part with a different feel.

Highly recommend having them play together rather than individually tracking.

6. Bassomatic

Boys-

I'm realizing just that, reflecting back to my collitch days when i hired a damned good quartet to 1)rehearse 9at their discretion and 2) *perform* a string quartet for $50 bucks a head! And that was some rather gnarly music, rhythmically speaking....

In this here 5 college area, i figger i can snag a string trio for not much more, for less than an hour of recording (these are easy, easy parts, if quite dissonant in spots - intonation is the only danger, here).

That sed, i would still love to hear things a bit more properly while i'm editing/finishing the thing.

7. pennylink

pennylink Guest

The UK-published Computer Music magazine that's out currently comes with a free CD that contains a collection of good-quality string samples in WAV format (GarritanÂ’s acclaimed Orchestral Strings).

The magazine costs around $14 in the US and can be found at Tower Records and better bookstores.

Of course you would need a sampler to play them. I use Kompakt, that I'm very happy with. Not as much tweaking opportunities as with Kontakt, but it comes with a very good and comprehensive set of sounds, including strings, at a very reasonable price.

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Bassomatic,

One other alternative would be the Garritan string library. I've heard nothing but great things about them. My old boss uses them a good bit, but I do not have direct experience with them.

The string library can be had for around $200 if you Froogle :D

http://www.garritan.com/

Good luck! Strings are tough. Another thought which I believe has been mentioned earlier, would be to hire a chamber string ensemble, and layer their work with a string patch. I've done that before and obtained excellent results.