Decently Priced Clean Amp?

I need a decent clean amp for medium sized venues and churches. I play a lot of indie rock, glam rock, some funk, and some blues. Mostly in the general rock arena or contemporary christian music like hillsong or hillsong united.

I'm thinking I'll just use my pedals for any dirt I need. I've got a Tim, Crunch Box, and BYOC Large Beaver.

I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive, under $400. Combo or head.

yZe

I
under $400. Combo or head.
Hate to sound negative, but your price goal seems unrealistic

If it's for a tube amp at that price, it would have to be bought from someone in a trying situation such as back child support, leaving town because of outstanding warrants, wanting to re-up on their dope supply, etc . . .

bonchie123

Silver Supporting Member
A Blues Junior is all you'll get new for that price. Used you could get a Peavy Classic 30.

In actuality, if your using pedals, the Blues Junior will be fine for you.

Mudder

If you're looking for super clean, pedals for dirt, then the Roland Jazz Chorus would fit the bill. Solid state, I think the 80w is around your price as a combo, used.

wallinbb

Give a look at the Crate V16 at Guitar Center ($279 on sale).

I have a V32 that I run with a Tim and some Barber pedals out in front, and it can easily get WAY too loud for church (capacity 400). We mic our amps though, so I'll be using it with a Weber attenuator to tame it for church volumes.

I have retubed it with JJ's (it was the floor model). The stock speaker is quite good, but I have put a Texas Heat into it recently and like the clean tone it has better than the stock Celestion 70/80. Just a little better though. The original Celestion has a unique voicing to it, kind of round and organic. I may switch it back.

You'll find some posts on here about this amp having a buzz at higher levels. This is easily fixed by putting some glue on the inside "post/nut" where the screws holding the amp head attach. Be careful when you "go inside" to do this. I'm sure you are aware of the voltage dangers. But it's a quick fix on an awesome amp.

Otherwise, enjoy trying it out.

drawrein

Used Classic 30 hands down. It will easily be too loud for a church. You get a pretty good dirt channel too. JJ tubes and a Celestion really take it up a notch. Personally, I dont like solid state amps with dirt pedals.

D

Trending Topics