decided on a BUDDA but what one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

just want a few Budda owners to throw their 2cents in here...
    i play n bars and clubs and i dont like boxy sounds,can i still go 1x12 combo or would a 2x12 be better or seperate head and cab?
    ive read that the models are differently voiced,i aint playing metal w/ this thing just classic rock and need a cool clean channel what model will make my face beam.
    ps i live in the middle of nowhere so i'm going to have to do a 30 day trial thinggy and i just want to ask a few questions here b4 i order so i dont go back and forth w/ this shipping game.
    cheers

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

The Big Bottle 80 and 45 will give you the clean headroom goods.
    The 30 and 18 will not with humbuckers but will certainly entertain SCs and give alot untill they start to growl but in a very nice musical way.
    The Budda sd80 has the buggest fender like clean channel with the brite pulled and is sounds great when opened up but unfortunately with small pubs and bars it ain't gonna happen.
    Outdoor festivals and arenas is where this baby wants to be.

I have an sd18 and while it doesn't flap the pants it sure does the pub/club thing much better that the 80.
    If you must have the pants flap option and some real nice tight percussive low-end...then get an attenuator and make it go where the sd80 goes.

The sds deliver classic and hard rock in spades.
    The 80 is brighter and bigger low-end than the 18 or 30 .

Get a head and then you're good to go with either 1x12 2x12 4x12...
    Match to the gig

Cheeers
    Rick

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

will the 18 be ok in the clean channel for funk/james brown things going on??be using single coils P90

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

+ 1 on the 18 or the 30. The 80 is way too much unless you are planning on doing arenas anytime soon. I have had the 18 head, then got a 45 head, and ended up back with a 18 1x12. I like the ease of the combo, and its very lightweight. I have a Budda 1x12 extension cab that I use often to fill out the sound.
    Good luck, you can't go worng.

5. Swain

Swain Member

A Stringmaster would be a great choice. Or, a Dual-Stage.

6. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I would try the SD30 for what you are looking for. Great amps indeed.

rock

bford

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Having owned the 80, two 18s (one combo, one head), a Stringmaster, and a Twinmaster, and having played the Verbmaster and SD30 on numerous occasions, if I ever got another Budda again it would be the 80. Saying the 80 is overkill is like saying a 100w Marshall is overkill. Sure in a sense it is, but then again nothing else sounds like it. The master volume is good and it takes an attenuator well such that you can take it all the way down to tv volumes. But if you get the chance to wind it up, it's an ass kicker.

BUT, you mentioned doing the 30 day trial thing, so I assume you're buying new. I can't advocate buying any of the Buddas at what they go for new, except for maybe the 18. They're just so, SO much cheaper on the used market. You're much better off using the TGP return policy (ie the Emporium :D ) and going used, IMO.

8. jay66

jay66 Member

I have an 18 in a combo and love it. I wouldn't consider it boxy sounding at all.

9. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

SD-30 2-12 combo would be perfect, 18's are cool also

No boxy sound in any of these

I like the 2-12 combos. These really disperse sound in the clubs.

These amps are great with humbuckers or single coils, unless your using a scorcher humbucker pup.

Killer nice clean channel, especially if you use the pull brite. More voxy than Fendery.

SD 18's and 30's are made for the clubs. You can get them working without runnin folks out of the joint. The "magic" is between 11:00 and 2:00 on the Drive channel. They sound even better in set 3 and 4 too.

plexi

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I have an SD18 1/12 combo, and for clubs it's perfect!!! I play only humbucker guitars and the clean channel is great....Nice FX loop, and the OD channel just sings like crazy.....It's a really great amp, and look below to the company it keeps!!

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've owned an SD 30 2x12 combo...do a search on this info, get the head. The combos don't have the bass response needed for even an open back amp. The 30 watt is plenty loud enough for most situations, and was fine once I ran it through a closed back cabinet. I loved the amp....just not the EQ on it.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Another vote for the SD30. Fantastic amp.

13. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

One other thing you can do is call up Budda, or email them, and let them know what you are looking for. They have some of the best customer service going, and I am sure they can help you decide.
    Good luck!

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I have a SDII 18 watt and 30 watt both 1x12 combos. I use the 18 watter for 99 % of the gigs i do. They both sound fantastic....but the 18 watter just seems to sound a little fuller with a bit more girth. It's also lighter and easier to transport.

To me it's the perfect single coil pickup amp - I use strats and teles exclusively. Plenty of clean headroom ( and I play with horns and keys on occasion )........and I never ever feel like i dont have enough volume or headroom ( and I need loud cleans for the band I'm in ). I do mic myself at everygig...if I was doing an unmiced gig I would just add an extension cab and I'm sure I would be fine.

Also takes pedals better than any other amp I've used, both in front and in the loop.

15. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Had the 18, mice'd up I think you'd be fine.
    My next one is going to be the SD45. I'm waiting on a Twinmaster to be delivered today. Come check it out if ya want.

16. dougb415

dougb415 Member

If anyone is interested in one of these, drop me a line. I got mine as a Christmas gift and it is just too loud for the home studio.

17. dougb415

dougb415 Member

FYI - I have now listed the combo in the Emporium.

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

my vote would be the SD80, i think ratter has a great point.

You can always get a good sound out of the SD80, don't need to blow up your eardrums to get a great sound out of it.

It has a great taper and it is (in my experience and with my rig)
    very fenderish sounding and capable of achieving those Fender tones in the clean channel and a monster when it comes to lead work and distorted sounds.

I prefer 6l6's based amps hence why i prefer the SD80, but don't get fooled by that, i can get into the el34 crunch some people love.

As i said, a very simplistic looking amp that can sound as good as anything else out there.

If it had more bells and whistles , like separate eq, some light bulbs and ... like that, i could see people ditching their amps and buying more Buddas.

Great great amp

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'd whine to Jeff Bober that you want a 4x10 SD18 combo or the like. I have an old Twinmaster 4x10 combo that is the perfect bar gigging amp.

That said - I have an SD45 head as well. If chimey, "gee I wish I could stop smiling" kinda of cleans is what you crave, especially with a bit of "hair" under it, you want an SD45. I like the amp because its (imo anyway) the least compressed of the Budda Super Drive series - articulation city, even under heavy overdrive. It'll tame down to club levels too. I use a combination of the master volume and a HotPlate. It's a JTM45 that's been in the gym.... and on steroids - a JTM45 with more of all the good things about a JTM45. Really bitchin' amp.

jb

20. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Mojotone will build you a 4x10 (or whatever configuration) combo cab with the right cosmetics that you can pop the Budda chassis into. So that's always an option.