Decided to buy a Mesa Thanks everyone for help, Final questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, Feb 21, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

Thanks for everyones help about deciding on an amp.

Decided to buy a Mesa.

What is the difference in sound between the Express 5:50 and 5:25?

I am going to buy a Express series amp or a Stilleto Ace.

Which would be better for rock, hard rock,maybe some metal, Alternative(Cure, Smiths) ? I will be using a Gibson 335, Fender Bass VI, Tele and a Jazzmaster. I will also use effects(delays, choruses, other distortion pedals)

The amp will be used for home practice and playing with a band in small to med sized places.

Ready to buy,

Help

2. madryan

madryan Member

The difference is that the Express 5:50 has 6L6's and the 5:25 has EL-84's.

The Stiletto is really bright so keep that in mind.

Just to save you some money here...

The precursor to the Express series a couple generations ago was the DC series. IMO, they destroy the newer generations for general rock type music. They're quite versatile, have great cleans and there's not a hint of fizziness in their sound. You can pick up a nice used DC-5 for between $700 and $800 and it'll do pretty much everything you need. I owned both the "A" version as well as my current "B" version and they both rocked.

That being said, of the three you mentioned I'd get an Express 5:50.

Here's my DC-5...

[​IMG]

The insides are nicely laid out and they're built of quality stuff...

[​IMG]

3. g335

g335 Member

I will try to find a DC-5 to play. Can it get heavy too? What kind of speakers would be good to go with it?

4. madryan

madryan Member

It'll do heavy. V30's work well as do greenbacks. I'm going to swap one of my V30's for an ET-65 from Warehouse guitar speakers as it's sort of a higher wattage greenback. Here's a clip of a dude from the Petrucci forum playing his DC-5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMres8z-Zw

5. g335

g335 Member

Cool, thanks I will look forward to them.

Hope I can find one in the store to try while I am deciding on an amp.

6. madryan

madryan Member

Mine was one of the last ones built and it was built in Dec of '98 so you're probably not going to find one in a store. I can say that if you like the Express series you'll probably like a DC-5 or DC-10 more. The foot switchable EQ is almost like having an extra clean and an extra dirty channel.

Here's a couple of the DC doing Metal. Sounds typically Mark series here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGJHuhGr_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQ2Q0oq28E

7. madryan

madryan Member

8. way2blu

way2blu Member

I have been playing a 5:50 for almost a year now, and I love it more every day. I am pleased as hell with the tones that can be eeked out of this thing with either a Strat with single coils or an LP and humbuckers. I have been most impressed with the amps ability to change in tonal colors with even the slightest of EQ adjustments - whether it be bass, mid or treble.

9. madryan

madryan Member

I like the 5:50 alot as well. IMO, Mesa went back to an amp that's much more like the DC series than the F series were. The F series to me were too fizzy while the DC's and Express amps have a more usable gain voicing. I like the DC's better because of the footswitchable EQ which I believe the Contour control on the Express approximates. Sweet amps either way but the DC's are pretty much the deal of the century at the price you can get tham at.

10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've had a 5:50 1x12 combo for a little over a year and love it. It's a very versatile amp covering jazz to hard rock without pedals.
    I chose it over a 5:25, an F-50 and a Lonestar Special.
    The 5:25 that I played sounded great, though boxy. I believe that was due to it being a 1x10 combo.

11. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

The Dual Caliber series are supposedly really cool amps, sort of like a Mark IIC+/IV series-inspired tone in a simplified layout and available on the cheap.

12. never-enough

never-enough Member

i have an express 5:25 and i love it, but for the styles that you are describing i think you would be better off with the 5:50.
    the differences lie in the power section, and the 5:25 doesnt have a ton of clean headroom.
    the amps are extremely versatile. the clean is a solid clean sound that takes pedals well. the crunch mode is a great sound as well.
    channel two blues mode sounds incredible to me in the 5w mode.
    and the burn mode of channel two has tons of smooth gain. when i solo in this mode i feel like im wielding a flamethrower more than playing a guitar.
    really fun amp, i have never found it hard to dial in but i have found more and more cool tones and textures the more i have played mine.
    also i should add that i have the head, not the combo version.
    i tend to pair my head with a 2x10 cab or a 1x12, both sound great. i think the heads are more versatile for this reason.
    hope that helps!

13. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i have owned a 5:50 112 combo for about 3 months and ive really been liking the tones i get. no need for dirt pedals of any kind, there are plenty of options with the two voicings on each channel. i find if you crank the gain on the burn channel you can then roll down the vol on your guitar and get a pretty good imitation of the crunch setting on the green channel. i use it with a reggae as well as a jamband and i find it works nicely for both. i also run a dd20 in the loop and it sounds great.

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have an F-50 combo and it's a great amp. It was a little fizzy but I took out the original Black Shadow speaker and replaced it with a Celestion CL80. Huge difference. No more fizz. Tighter low end with more mids. Cuts a lot better. I can get tones similar to my JCM800 which is what I was looking for. It also has A LOT more gain on tap than my JCM800.

Good deals on these right now. I got my combo in mint condition for $575.

I don't know this person but here is a link to a Tele thru an F-50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJDyod3o66E&feature=related

15. g335

g335 Member

Ok

I will listen to the clips and try to find some of the amps here to play.

Just wondering, can Metallica be done on any of these amps?

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The dual caliper series are NOT in the same league as these other amps mentioned

17. madryan

madryan Member

So you own one? Played them much? Hey man, you're welcome to your opinion but having owned a half a dozen Boogies now, some more than once, I can honestly say that the DC is basically a Mark series without the fancy power options. They're missing a few features but they're easier to dial in and overall, sound better.

So lets see... Boogie stuff I've owned...

'95 2 channel Dual Rec: Ridiculously loud and flubby at anything short of house shaking volumes. Hard to dial in... Hard to keep dialed in... Muddy and flubby unless properly dialed in... Pluses: Huge sounding and could easily kill Vermin hiding out in your house with sheer sound pressure levels.

Mark III Blue stripe: Killer amp for 80's metal sounds. Still somewhat hard to dial in. Amazingly percussive and incredible attack. Sounded fat and warm but still aggressive. Neat power options.

DC-5a: First DC. Got to replace Mark III as I wanted something with a little more "modern" voicing and a dude I knew offered me lots of money for Mark III. Voiced like a Mark/Rectifier hybrid. Easy to dial in, not stupidly heavy but still quite loud without volume pot mod. Stupidly sold to get into rack gear.

Triaxis rig: Boogies greatest hits in one box. Watch your levels.

Lonestar Classic head: Mind blowing clean channel and great gain channel as long as you didn't try to do Brutal with it.

DC-5b: Latest revision. Bought because I stupidly sold my older one years ago. Still same great rock-n-roll amp. Still easy to dial in... Still sounds great and voicing is still fairly modern. Can easily cop classic mesa sounds as well as more Marshall like tones. Clean channel seems better than my older one.

Those are just the one's I've owned. I had several friends who owned various other Mesa amps. Mark IV's, Road Kings, etc. The DC belongs in the same catagory with the rest of the good Mesa amps.

Like the guy you quoted said, basically it's a Mark series preamp with less bells and whistles in the power section.

But then maybe you're the type that devines an amps tones from looking at the spec sheet.

18. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

OK, just for kicks I put up a video my of my Mesa F-50. I only have the gain at about 9:00 (1/4 up).
    I like Classic Rock so that's the tone I was going for. Recorded with a digital still camera. Bad sound quality & bad playing but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qnx-SBXnI

19. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

If Metallica's what you're after you're going to want a Mark. Check out a Mark IV when the V comes out. They should be available on the cheap. I'm keeping mine though.

20. way2blu

way2blu Member

Agreed. Since owning the 5:50, I have eliminated several pedals from my board. I can seem to find almost anything I am looking for within the parameters of the amp channels alone. I love the simplicity of this amp, and despite my desire for a Mk IV before purchasing this amp, I just knew that the Mk wouldn't be right for me - too many options that just seem to drive me to distraction in trying to dial things in.