Decided to buy a Reeves combo....Power Scale question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I decided to buy a Reeves Custom 6 or 12. Do you think I should get the power scale option? My question is this. When it is turned up and out of the circuit, does it affect the tone at all? Does the amp act like a NMV when it's turned "off".

Can't decide if I want the 6 or 12.

2. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I had the 12 w/ power scaling and I really liked it. I think its worth the extra cash, and turned all the way up just sounded great. I dont think you will have any issues when using the amp in any which way.

BTW- The cleans I really really dug on the amp, didnt expect that cool surprise.

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

any other suggestions? I guess this could be a power scale question in general.

4. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

when the power scaling is turned off, it doesn't seem to affect the sound in any way I have noticed. I have power scaling on several amps and I really like it. Of course nothing can make a tube amp sound exactly the same at whisper volume and at full volume but power scaling makes it possible to use powerful amps at almost any volume with almost no loss or even change in tone. As long as you have reasonable expectations for it, I can't imagine being disappointed with it. I have an Airbrake and it works fine for my Maz Jr but the power scaling is to my ears much better than any attenuator I have heard...lots of threads on this if you do a search. Some really like the Ultimate Attenuator and Bad Cat has the Leash which provides a continuous dial instead of a few clicks like the Airbrake (discounting the bedroom dial on the Airbrake which I don't find all that useful).

I would go for the powerscaling myself as it doesn't cost much to add at the time of build and I would think it would make the amp easier to sell if that time ever came. It is a nice option to have.

Eric

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a Custom 12 Reeves with PS and recommend it.

6. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

It depends on what controls they add with the Power Scaling.

For my Custom 18, when the PS is taken out, the amp acts as a MV with the Gain knob controlling preamp gain and the Drive knob controlling the Master Volume.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Yes. The amp has 3 modes. 1) NMV-turn PS all the off and volume at max and use the drive to control sound levels 2) MV amp-leave the PS off and use the volume and drive like a MV amp. 3) Power Scaling - turn the drive up to the grind level desired and use the PS in tandem with the volume to vary sound level and saturation.
    here's my review.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=370218