• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Decided to change my strings

uitar99

Last 6 months or so, Just been playing once or twice a week. Not much gigging. Realized last week the strings were dead, couldn't stay in tune.

Used Canada day to change those puppies

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Last 6 months or so, Just been playing once or twice a week. Not much gigging. Realized last week the strings were dead, couldn't stay in tune.

Very exciting. Thanks for sharing.

I do the GC string club thing. $20 up front gets you $5 toward strings every month. Change them at least once a month. Reduces fret wear.

wetordry

Need to change some myself, what's Canada day.
You mean Canada Dry? How does that work?

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I changed two sets of strings over the weekend, although I should have been practicing instead.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I do the GC string club thing. $20 up front gets you $5 toward strings every month. Change them at least once a month. Reduces fret wear.
Does changing strings really have the benefit of reducing fret wear, or is this some marketing we've fallen for? If, when changing strings, you do a good cleaning, I can see that possibly helping, but just new strings alone? How exactly?

wetordry

My strings get flat/dent spots on the backside at each fret after a week or two if I play a fair amount. It's gotta change fretwear somehow, doubtful it's for the better.
But they start going out of tune easily so they are gone.

Yeah. The become oxidized and gritty pretty quick. All that abrasion (as stated above) doesn't do the frets any good.

lugnut111

I changed two sets of strings over the weekend, although I should have been practicing instead.
Takes an entire day to change strings?

Just joking with you guys. I actually enjoy changing strings, something relaxing about it. But then again, I enjoy changing the oil in my car too.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
The best way to reduce fret wear is to stop playing. Or get more guitars and spread your playing across several.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
Takes an entire day to change strings?

Just joking with you guys. I actually enjoy changing strings, something relaxing about it. But then again, I enjoy changing the oil in my car too.
I generally clean the fingerboard cleaning and polish the frets, clean and wax, etc, then check the setup.

The best way to reduce fret wear is to stop playing. Or get more guitars and spread your playing across several.
Yeah, that works, too. Except now I have 14 guitars to keep maintained. Kind of a diminishing return, I think.

Trending Topics