Decided to sell my 1st ever les paul...guitar choices and p90 advice please!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Dec 8, 2005.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Hi guys
    After some long hard thinking I've decided to sell my lp custom that I've owned for 16 years.With a heavy heart I've realized its just not doing it for me anymore.Its just too heavy unwieldy and I find the tone far too trebly and bright.In the words of my guitar tech "it just don't sound right".I've had issues with it for some time now, and TBH since I got my LP standard which I think is a much nicer guitar.Whereas the custom is trebly(thin??harsh??) and bright and even feeds back, the standard is a much nicer player and has a much warmer more organic sound and is much more responsive.I never realized how much I didn't like the custom (although I always seemed to be searching for a 2nd guitar as it was never right for me) till I got the standard.

Seeing as I really like the standard but would like to try something different, I wondered about p90 guitars.I would like a 335 but the feedback at volume is an issue for me, and I've always been a les paul guy.
    I play bluesy heavy stoner rock (think free/zep mixed with sabbath/qotsa) , I like a FAT sound, nice full bass, and I certainly don't want a harsh overly bright pickup that is noisy, its all about fat dark power tube overdrive for me, rather than high gain upper mid crunch.
    So, would a P90 guitar or one of the p90 variants be a good choice for me???

Should I retrofit some HB sized p90s into my standard, sell the custom and get another standard or should I keep the standard as stock, sell the custom and buy a p90 equiped guitar??!!

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've been doing a very jammy stoner rock project the last couple of weeks and have just been using my Goldtop Paul w/ P 90's and a Marshall style EL-34 head and a Hot Cake, and I've had great results. The P-90's really cut and just have a ton of ass to them on the neck pickup. The Phat Cats sound really good and are pretty cheap, but you can also find an R6 goldtop like mine used for pretty cheap as well. If your standard sounds good to you, jut leave it be, p-90 equipped les paul specials are also really cool and are super cheap.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

thanks calloway.
    I think I will leave the standard as it is.
    That sound scool, I think I would like to try a goldtop.
    Do you find the p90s noisy ??Are they fat meaty and bassy ??

4. Calloway

They do tend to get a little noisy, it doesn't really bother as much anymore. Sometimes I play some bars that have horrible wiring and then it is really noticable, but the overall tone is definately fat and low, but the bridge can still cut through anything. My Goldtop is definately my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Fat neck, fat tone, its a straight ass kicker.

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

sounds great.
    can you give me a quick comparison between them and humbuckers for my reference??

6. Calloway

Go to www.sombrabella.com/bumbox I did some sound clips for Nate with my standard which has Duncan Antiquities and some with the Goldtop all on a one watt head. You can hear a difference, now I'm trying to get my Standard to sound fatter after having the Goldtop. The P 90's are definately a single coil, sustain less than a humbucker, but the punch is irreplacable. They are fat, raunchy and really cut when neccesary.

7. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

They sound really really great, I think I actually prefer the p90's!!!

8. Calloway

Me too! Now I'm on the search for a new neck pickup for the Standard. Man this **** never ends! :D

9. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Tell me about it!!!!
    I think you've just about sold me on the p90's.Well, sold me on trying them out anyway.
    How well do they handle bassy amps???Have you had any experience of the humbucking p90's??

10. Calloway

I like them with an extra bassy rig because they cut real well but still have a lot of tight low end punch. A buddy of mine has a Phat Cat in a PRS singlecut and it is amazing. I have considered putting one in my standard, but I would like to keep one guitar with humbuckers and the other with P 90's. So now the hunt is on!

11. axpro

axpro Member

You mentioned you are not liking the custom... what year is it? you mention that you have had it for 16 years, but did you buyit new? old stock?
    70-s to 80's customs had maple necks, which wold definitely account for the bright tone, and people at the time thought heavier was always better (they all wear neck braces now...:D)

If it's a maple neck version, then it'll be bright no matter what you do! Funny enough, that is the reason i never keep a Les Paul, I prefer maple necks!

I just love that extra snappy, stab my eyes tone!

Dave Mc

12. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Its a 1990, I got it new at the tender age of 16.
    I think it'll be bright no matter whsat I do with it, which is why I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

13. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

calloway, love the choice of clips too!!

14. Calloway