Deciding on amp for gig - mine or bandmate's...

Jon C

One hour including setup and tear down is a short set of actual playing time potentially. I’d want gear I know I can have up and running fast, and tear down similarly. :idea

zestystrat

I've played a lot of these types of festivals. Unless its some kind of crazy unique amp, I'd get specifics on the backline and use theirs.

IME there is usually a few Fender, Vox, Marshal types. Honestly, for an hour slot it's worth it. I feel that I should be able to get a decent sound out of one of those rigs. Plus the soundman/crew will appreciate it and you can get more time to play if you set up right away without having to set up and mic an amp.

On the other hand, I played a festival where we had 3 sets on 3 different stages - one was the VIP tent with a bar but only a PA, that one was worth bringing my whole rig.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, slight update, and I think I have a plan now. I checked and was told that there would be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic 50 available as a backline amp. I'm sure I'd be fine with either, but would welcome your opinions on which of those you'd prefer as well. I suspect I'll lean toward the Peavey. I'm going to tell the other guitarist that if he wants to bring his amp and have me play it I'm happy to, I'll haul it from his truck to the stage and back, but I'm planning to just play a backline amp unless he really wants me to play his. I wasn't sure what they'd have and worried it would be something barely adequate. I'll probably also bring a cheap "emergency" amp along just in case.

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
So, realistically you have a 30 minute set. And realistically you don’t own any gear that you can use (not just at this gig, but with the band in general).

-If the other guitarist is using his amp, use the one he’s cool lending you.
-If using the back line saves you any time (eg. The other guitarist and drummer are receptive to it), I’d strongly consider it to lengthen your set time.
-It sounds like you need an amp. Forget about trying to find a deal. Either ask your guitarist if you can buy his amp, or buy something similar at fair market value so you are prepared to play gigs with your own gear.

Dr. Diabeetus

Silver Supporting Member
Borrow your friends amp for this gig, since you have it dialed in; then decide on a more permanent solution.

Everyone is different in comfort level with these things. I'm leaving my wet dry Larry Dino rack rig at a (nice, secure) practice space right now.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
One thing that may save you a lot of wasted energy would be to make sure that you are even permitted to supply your own amps. If it's an informal thing where the deal is, "You have an hour... do whatever you want, just strike the stage by the time your hour is up", that's one thing.

But if it's like a lot of festivals, someone signed a contract that specifies details, and it might spec that guitarists use provided backline. If that's the case, I'd personally call dibs on the Classic 50 before your other guy does, and be grateful that you don't have to worry about it. Like I said above, an hour can go by very quickly, and you don't want a rep as the band who was still gathering your things 15 minutes into someone else's set.

Tommy_G

Fixing your broken jack cup is a 10 min job.

I have a few broken things too and the hardest part is committing to the tedious diversion.

t1r12003

Ok, slight update, and I think I have a plan now. I checked and was told that there would be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic 50 available as a backline amp. I'm sure I'd be fine with either, but would welcome your opinions on which of those you'd prefer as well. I suspect I'll lean toward the Peavey. I'm going to tell the other guitarist that if he wants to bring his amp and have me play it I'm happy to, I'll haul it from his truck to the stage and back, but I'm planning to just play a backline amp unless he really wants me to play his. I wasn't sure what they'd have and worried it would be something barely adequate. I'll probably also bring a cheap "emergency" amp along just in case.

Peavey Classic 50 all the way.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Probably not necessary, but I'm a bit compulsive about finishing what i start, so I dredged this thread back up to finish it off. Drove all the way to the gig, a few minutes before we got there got the call that they're cancelling due to weather. I and my bandmates helped tear down and load up the sound rig. The backline amps never made it out of the road cases. Guess I'll order a new jack cup for that speaker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom